Author Topic: Mr. Rogers 62  (Read 8971 times)

Offline Jeffrey A. Rogers

Mr. Rogers 62
« on: December 04, 2015, 07:07:22 PM »
Well, first and foremost is my expressed gratitude to the rebirth of the board.  I imagine, I was as depressed as everyone else when suddenly the old one was gone and stayed gone for far too long.  I'm glad it's back.  Thank you!!!

Summer was fun.  Never once went into the garage.  All is well.  Busy, as ever.

Winter is back, and so I'm working on car again.  Yes!

The first picture is of where I left off last Spring.  Lots and lots of work. 
The second is progress on the floor.  It's shiny because the paint hadn't dried yet.

It's so good to see guys again.
Take care
Jeff
What is frozen cannot rust is a damn lie!

Offline 62 Coupe

Re: Mr. Rogers 62
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 08:00:31 PM »
Nice to see you back Jeff. Looking forward to seeing your vert evolve over the winter!
He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill

Offline 62droptop

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • 62 series 62 droptop southern ontario canada
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 10:45:54 PM »
looks awesome

your work is very inspiring
if you can bring that car back, there is hope for most all others

1962 Cadillac series 62 ragtop

driven like it is stolen
broken because it was driven(still)

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 12:07:40 PM »
Yesterday, I was chipping the oxidation out of the trunk pan.  If you remember, the fire wall and entire floor is from a four door sedan I disassembled last winter; one spot weld at a time.  The original floor of the convertible was not salvageable, nothing but rust, nothing left.  The trunk of the sedan does need some repair.  It's discouraging, but nothing I can't handle.  Anyway I needed some inspiration to buck up my resolve.  So, I stared at a nice part of the car for awhile.  It worked.

Offline 62droptop

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 08:22:59 PM »
Yesterday, I was chipping the oxidation out of the trunk pan.  If you remember, the fire wall and entire floor is from a four door sedan I disassembled last winter; one spot weld at a time.  The original floor of the convertible was not salvageable, nothing but rust, nothing left.  The trunk of the sedan does need some repair.  It's discouraging, but nothing I can't handle.  Anyway I needed some inspiration to buck up my resolve.  So, I stared at a nice part of the car for awhile.  It worked.

gawd damn that looks awesome Jeffery

I really can wait to see the rest of the car
I know it will be a real looker with a realistic paint job
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 10:37:15 PM by 62droptop »

driven like it is stolen

Offline 62 Coupe

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 09:12:39 PM »
Jeff, I know what you mean about the rust repair. It takes a special kind of resolve to keep plugging away at it and keeping to a certain standard. To break up the monotony of rust repair I put a 5 speed standard in at one point and at another a Ford 9" diff just to be doing something mechanical. Or at least that's what I tell myself  ::)

Keep up the good work, you have made amazing progress so far. I'm looking forward to this winters results.
He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill

Offline 62droptop

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2015, 10:37:58 PM »
your car must be a later 62 as it does not have the lower rad  hose frame notch cut out

driven like it is stolen

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 12:36:28 PM »
At 62droptop,
You are correct Sir.  The Sedan was the earlier version with the radiator hose notch.  There were some other subtle differences, including the absence of two attachment points for the body.  although the difference in attachment points may be Sedan vs Convertible.  I don't know.  The floors are interchangeable, I hope, although they do have minor differences that I believe are Sedan Vs convertible related.  Most strikingly is the addition of an extra floor brace under the rear floor pan of the convertible.  I think those were added to prevent sagging from people standing with their full weight while getting in and out of the convertible vs swinging your legs in and out while sitting in the sedan.  And, a curved seam line on the rear wheel wells to accommodate the top while folded down.  That and the obvious difference in how the rear seats are supported.

Way too much time looking at stuff.

Jeff

Offline Mr C

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2015, 12:01:35 PM »
Good to see you made here Jeff,
I  can see you have punched in a few good days and sleepless nights into your ragtop, it's coming together very nice.

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 12:33:34 PM »
All the white in the first picture is treated surface rust.  There's lots of pitting and big holes under the spare tire mount.
The second picture is of the mount removed.  I'm going to clean that up and reuse it.
The third is of a fitted patch, not welded in yet.  Ran out of time, plus I need to learn to weld. (DUH!)

The trunk is definitely slowing me down.  Lots of work in there.  Not sure if I'm going to attempt to reproduce the grooves/corrugation, although doing so would be cool, it is just the trunk!  Why?  It's going to be covered up with carpet.  Probably not going to bother.