Author Topic: Car Safety  (Read 217 times)

Offline Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
Car Safety
« on: December 11, 2017, 01:25:58 PM »
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline 62droptop

• 62 series 62 droptop southern ontario canada
Re: Car Safety
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 10:05:19 PM »
back when cars had style AND people had common sense

now todays cars are exponentially safer for all the airheads piloting them
no wonder the auto makers want self dri9ving carts ,it is because the newer generations cant pay attention long enough to catch a cold!

1962 Cadillac series 62 ragtop

driven like it is stolen
broken because it was driven(still)

Offline PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 01:59:53 AM »
I had a serious crash a few years ago in a 1963 GMC Suburban, no seat belts. Myself, my wife and my dog got out of it with out a scratch on us, the GMC was a write off though. Phil

Offline StevenTuck

• 1962 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz | Tampa, Florida
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 06:07:53 AM »
I recently heard it said, "Back in the day we had stupid cars driven by smart people. Today we have smart cars driven by stupid people."
Steven M. Tuck CLC#16507
1962 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
http://bit.ly/1NfPNHE
Car Show Signs and Car Photo Books
http://carshowsigns.net/

Offline rare eldorado

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 09:48:39 AM »
Speaking of todays cars .They are junk .barely last 5-7 years and are ready for the scrap yard .Made of plastic that drys out and breaks away ..Metal so thin that if you lean on it to hard it gets a dent .Interiors that may look nice but are made of cheap materials .And most times only come in 1 color birdshit gray. Talk about these people that went too school stupid and came out the same way.I talk to the younger generation in there 20s and asked if they like to have a straight shift car and they said what is that ? Collector cars were made as safe as was for the time they were built,They had style and pazaz .you could always tell one from another on account of there individual style. Todays cars all look the same  .Todays  stylers have no idea how to give style to a car .Older cars were built to last that's why there still around even in rusted conditions.Most people say that new cars are more dependable ,,so why do you see so many of them stuck on the side of the road or in scrap yards? Mantinance free is not a good term, No such thing.Ihave been to many car shows and cruse nights and have not seen anyone that got excited over a newer car..Except for a few specialty cars the general term for a collector car is 1972 and older .Anyone notice that the new Camaro front end grill looks like a Toyota.Thats what I mean all look the same .This subject can be debated for hours with many opinions .Some the same some not .Any one want  to chime in?

Offline js1977

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 05:18:21 PM »
From someone who owns multiple vehicles (61,69,75) from the "stupendously unsafe" era.  I can tell you that while they may not have current safety features like airbags, crumple zones, or abs brakes.  They certainly don't feel unsafe either.  Today people want cars to do everything for them so they don't have to pay attention and they want it done as fast as possible.  They can't be bothered to put down their phone and actually pay attention to the road and potential hazards along the way.  Even people not driving expect vehicles to stop on a dime even if they are in the wrong for walking out infront of the car.  I own one modern vehicle and it's a 3/4 pickup with a ranchhand front bumper replacement (I call it my attention getter, haha!) on it.  I don't feel like having to replace my whole front end or truck if one of these yahoos decide his phone is more important then watching the light.

And this is coming from someone in his 30's, so it's not an old farts mindset either, haha!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 05:20:34 PM by js1977 »

Offline South_paw

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 05:57:54 PM »
Wait..... Cadillac touted the safety of the padded dash in my 56. This would be of no consequence considering I would have to eat the non collapsable steering column first.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline screamer

« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 02:40:15 PM »
Crumple zones make cars safer but how about just driving sensibly in the first place. lol.
There is a video on You tube with a 62 Cadillac and a "modern" Cadillac having a head on crash.
i think it has been posted before...