Author Topic: top boot  (Read 1253 times)

Offline rare eldorado

top boot
« on: June 04, 2017, 03:02:03 PM »
Hello Chris  You can buy a top boot from OPGI or USA parts ready made .However if your car is an Eldorado there are no top boots offered for them .Best way is too have one made for your car .However Eldorado top boots are leather to match the interior as eldos had all leather interiors .Some owners have purchased top boots ,,used the sides and had the centers sewn too match the seat pleated inserts ,,but the boots do not look authentic with out being leather.Eldorado boots have rolled and pleated centers to match the seat  inserts and are all leather with inside padding .Boots for a Deville come with padding and not in the center area .If your car is a Deville order padding and glue it in the center part yourself as it was that way from the factory so the boot would look uniform when mounted.

Offline CAD161

• Black Betty The 1961 series 62 convertible
  • 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • 61 Cadillac series 62 convertible Sydney Australia
Re: top boot
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 01:53:05 AM »
Thanks a lot for that my series 62 currently has a black boot and by the advice I have received that is correct for my car .thats a great idea to add padding to the center I will have to do that.
Chris

Offline StevenTuck

• 1962 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz | Tampa, Florida
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2017, 05:07:46 AM »
Hello Chris  You can buy a top boot from OPGI or USA parts ready made .However if your car is an Eldorado there are no top boots offered for them .Best way is too have one made for your car .However Eldorado top boots are leather to match the interior as eldos had all leather interiors .Some owners have purchased top boots ,,used the sides and had the centers sewn too match the seat pleated inserts ,,but the boots do not look authentic with out being leather.Eldorado boots have rolled and pleated centers to match the seat  inserts and are all leather with inside padding .Boots for a Deville come with padding and not in the center area .If your car is a Deville order padding and glue it in the center part yourself as it was that way from the factory so the boot would look uniform when mounted.

This topic has been previously discussed. The Eldorado did not have a leather boot it was vinyl that was dielectrically embossed to match the interior. I should know since I have the original boot for my Eldorado. The 1962 Option Specification Manual page 65 states:

"Top Boot is made of coated fabric, with dieletrically embossed pleats in the center. Color matches upholstery leather and not the top material."
Steven M. Tuck CLC#16507
1962 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
http://bit.ly/1NfPNHE
Car Show Signs and Car Photo Books
http://carshowsigns.net/

Offline rare eldorado

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2017, 11:25:56 AM »
Ialso have the original top boot for my eldo/ and it is all leather and matches the seats.The sides that snap onto the inside seat area is vinyl .The top area and pleated area is leather and completely padded inside .The color is white All boots matched the seats not the top .Coated fabric ( as stated in option manual) was used with leather , The sides would not pull easy if it were leather. My boot still  had a  part no# on the padding before the padding started to deteriorate .GM did many changes that were cost effective back then so it was hard too nail down any one rule .Steve is correct that some boots were vinyl Some boots were mixed leather .Eldorado boots had all padding and Deville boots did not.( Example) Part no# 436410 was for a white boot with leather and part no#4364003 was for a white boot in vinyl. 1962 years. Well research on these things can make one crazy on what is or is not correct .Does any one else have anymore info?

Offline StevenTuck

• 1962 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz | Tampa, Florida
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 06:27:37 PM »
Ialso have the original top boot for my eldo/ and it is all leather and matches the seats.The sides that snap onto the inside seat area is vinyl .The top area and pleated area is leather and completely padded inside .The color is white All boots matched the seats not the top .Coated fabric ( as stated in option manual) was used with leather , The sides would not pull easy if it were leather. My boot still  had a  part no# on the padding before the padding started to deteriorate .GM did many changes that were cost effective back then so it was hard too nail down any one rule .Steve is correct that some boots were vinyl Some boots were mixed leather .Eldorado boots had all padding and Deville boots did not.( Example) Part no# 436410 was for a white boot with leather and part no#4364003 was for a white boot in vinyl. 1962 years. Well research on these things can make one crazy on what is or is not correct .Does any one else have anymore info?
In this world of "alternative facts", I find it important to have documentation to substantiate claims. I did so in my response above. Therefore, I have attached page G-26 Trim Code Color Reference Chart and page 956 from the "Cadillac Master Parts List" effective January 1, 1964. I have also attached page 49 of the Options Specifications Manual on the Sixty-Two Convertible.

You will see in the Cadillac Master Parts List page 956, part no. 4364003 is for series 62-6267 Sixty-Two Convertible Coupe (2 Door) and is white as rare eldorado claims. Part no. 436410 does not exist but maybe was suppose to be part no. 4364010 which is for series 62-6367 Eldorado Biarritz Convertible Coupe (Special Sport) (2 Door) and also is white as rare eldorado claims. You will see no mention of leather in the parts book only a reference to trim codes where noted.

According to the Trim Code Color Reference Chart page G-26, White for series 62-6267 was code 20, 20B White (Leather) w/Black Trim. White for series 62-6367 was code 10, 10B White (Leather). The first number references the interior painted surfaces color and the letter references the interior upholstery type and color. For example, the letter B represents Bucket Seats while the letter G represents Gray, F for Fawn. Leather was in parenthesis because it referred to the interior upholstery type. Leather was not referenced in the boot parts page 956 of the Cadillacs Master Parts List, only the color. I refer you back again to the Options Specifications pages for both models. It is here where boot material is listed which is coated fabric. The term coated fabric was synonymous for vinyl.
Steven M. Tuck CLC#16507
1962 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
http://bit.ly/1NfPNHE
Car Show Signs and Car Photo Books
http://carshowsigns.net/

Offline CAD161

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 02:22:50 AM »
Rare eldorado, if you get a chance could you possibly take a picture of the underside of your top boot so I can see where the padding should be ? Thanks.
Chris

Offline CAD161

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 02:32:27 AM »
I have ordered a new top boot. Does anyone have a picture of the underside to show the padding rare Eldorado was speaking of? Thanks.  Chris

Offline 6Caddy2

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 02:38:52 PM »
Chris, here is a photo of my boot, as you can see what car it's on... of course my caddy is not a eldo, I did however redo the interior in leather, with that said, my personal opinion after 3234 miles driving the caddy to San Marcos,Texas for the GN, the vinyl boot was awesome, took the wind and other road hazards with no problem, unlike leather that is very unforgiving,not to mention expensive,and hard to keep up with. Again this is my personal opinion, but I will back up Steven in all his info on boots and interiors, like Steven'scaddy, our caddy is a 2 time award winner in the GN. In the end it comes down to personal choice, and are you going to show the car at GN level or do you just want to to drive and enjoy your caddy!!!

Offline CAD161

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 09:25:25 PM »
Thanks for the reply and picture 6caddy2 , you’re interior looks awesome. I have just ordered the vinyl boot from convertibletopguys to replace my one which has torn just near the seam. My boot did not have any padding and wanted to see if it went all over the under side or just on the edges .
Chris