Author Topic: Fleetwood Door Pull Veneer  (Read 185 times)

Offline Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
Fleetwood Door Pull Veneer
« on: April 23, 2018, 12:04:40 PM »
By chance driving down the road in Troy Michigan I came across this place. I stopped in to see there selection and this is what I came up with.

The information I have is the original is Rosewood.
The samples we looked at the rosewood did not look right. The grain wanders to much where my veneers are very even and linear.

We looked at Italian Palmwood and it was very close.

The minimum sheet is 4x8 at about $250
For $50 more I can have a peel and stick adhesive added to the back of the sheet.

At 4x8 that gives me a lot of extra for trial and error. And if they are good enough I could sell a few sets to offset my cost.

What do you think.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline cadsquatch

Re: Fleetwood Door Pull Veneer
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 11:36:44 PM »
Looks about right to me. I would be interested in a set if you go that route
1961 Fleetwood 60 Special
1957 Fleetwood Series 75 Sedan
1947 Fleetwood 60 Special

Offline Sevillian

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 02:03:49 AM »
I take it that they do not have Brazilian Rosewood, which I understand was the original veneer.  I am looking at replacing or refinishing one of mine, but don't want to replace them all since 3 of them are quite nice. 
David Greenburg
1960 Eldorado Seville
CLC #3830

Offline Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2018, 10:05:12 AM »
Yes you can mostly only find Brazilian rosewood reclaimed now.

In 1992, in response to the threat of logging, Brazilian rosewood became one of the first ever tree species to be listed on Appendix 1 of CITES, prohibiting international trade in the timber or other products from this species.  Despite its inclusion the species continues to be illegally logged and traded internationally. For example, in 2009, 249 sheets of Brazilian rosewood timber were seized by TRAFFIC police in Rotterdam
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline Sevillian

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 11:57:25 PM »
Yet another way in which my car is politically incorrect!  But that certainly explains why I can't find the veneer. 
David Greenburg
1960 Eldorado Seville
CLC #3830