Author Topic: Changing upper ball joint  (Read 211 times)

Offline Ramses

Re: Changing upper ball joint
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2018, 07:40:23 PM »
Getting the camber eccentric off can be a real pain. I tried it with a puller and promptly broke the jar of my trusty snap on puller.

I ended up using a 10 ton press (supporting the bottom of the eccentric and pushing down on the shaft) - and needed more than 5 tons to pop it off.

5 tons!! i dont have a 10 tons press here.. I will have to visit my local machine shop to get them removed!

i have seen new and used one on ebay too.. so if its too mutch problem i know where to found other camber eccentric..

By the way, when its removed, does it have to be pressed on the new ball joint??
You can not count the time spent on a car, because it's a therapy!

To see my actual project: www.cadillac1962.com

Offline Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 06:11:18 AM »
I used a lot of heat to get mine off. It kind of sets itself when you install it. It is supposed to be able to rotate.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline Peter.1961

• Long Beach, CA 🌴
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 07:55:47 PM »
The irony is, I ended up replacing mine with new ones from rareparts ... They looked a bit worn so I figured might as well ...

It does set itself when you install it and tighten the nut. It's the beauty of a cone - easy to mate, very hard to separate.

I think when you rotate them for alignment you rotate the eccentric with the shaft as a unit. (Rotate the shaft in the ball joint)?
“If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough” -- Mario Andretti

Offline Ramses

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 08:10:02 PM »
The irony is, I ended up replacing mine with new ones from rareparts ... They looked a bit worn so I figured might as well ...

It does set itself when you install it and tighten the nut. It's the beauty of a cone - easy to mate, very hard to separate.

I think when you rotate them for alignment you rotate the eccentric with the shaft as a unit. (Rotate the shaft in the ball joint)?

i have try to rotate my old one, and that camber exentric dosent rotate on the shaft, but the shaft rotate easily..

I am actually sandblasting my old arm, when its done i will bring them to my local machine shop because i dont have a press here

Offline Ramses

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2018, 05:26:04 PM »
I finally have the new front upper ball joint installed.. There is a plate under it, so it does not look exactly like the original, but i have installed it easily :)

Thanks to those who help me with that :)

Offline Peter.1961

• Long Beach, CA 🌴
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 10:06:31 PM »
Looks sharp!
“If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough” -- Mario Andretti