Author Topic: Carl's 61 Fleetwood  (Read 33574 times)

Offline 62droptop

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • 62 series 62 droptop southern ontario canada
Re: Carl's 61 Fleetwood
« Reply #340 on: January 24, 2018, 09:02:01 PM »
cool, a break will be very handy
I use  mine all the time for just about everything you can imagine
you can get a little hand hole  punch to poke holes in the metal to spot weld in the new stuff
a gas shield wire feed welder will be your new best friend!

great job on the car so far!

1962 Cadillac series 62 ragtop

driven like it is stolen
broken because it was driven(still)

Offline Clewisiii

• Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
« Reply #341 on: January 27, 2018, 01:01:30 PM »
So the way I work is I spend 50 to 75% of my time thinking about the work I need to do. This bugs some people but it prevents me from doing twice the work due to correcting errors. I like to visualize each step many times before I actually do it.

That helps because I just found a new leather. This is called rhapsody blue from Wollsdorf. It is currently an option on Lincoln. This is the color and grain I have been looking for. It blends with the carpet better then my last option. I contacted the US sales rep. He will sell to me for 44 Euro a meter. About $800 for 5 hides. The one bad thing is I would have to pay shipping from Austria. There is a new Ford program coming to my plant in Michigan, we will be ordering Wollsdorf there in about 6 months. I plan to hold of buying and piggy back my order on that shipment.

The next I need to try to get Eagle Ottawa leather in Cashmere Ceramic. Up till now they have said they will not sell directly to me. I will work on that. That cream color paired with the blue is my goal. It matches the headliner I found as well.

I hate the after market leathers. The heavy embossed grains are not to my liking. Plus this actual production Automotive leather is a little more durable.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #342 on: January 27, 2018, 02:53:38 PM »
I finally got around to welding that patch in the door. Now to grind the welds down.

Three doors done one to go. The Last needs some more fabrication then what I have done to date.

I have a row of stitch holes on the lip of the hood. I will replace the metal but do it in sections.

I have one small three inch area on the trunk. Will be easy

And last fender bottoms. Both sides. With a break and shrinker  stretcher I can make those myself. I have already made patterns.

I need to get all of the body seams and gaps lined up after the welding. I am looking forward to filler priming and sanding.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #343 on: January 27, 2018, 04:15:00 PM »
Lot of fun. Layer out the material and made 4 patterns for my last door. I need to buy those tools because these areas have compound curves.

There is 1 more spot on the door that will need to be patched. But it is relatively flat.

I started fitting with the front fenders and hood again. The fenders looked better very quickly. The front of the hood and fenders payed out right.

But I cannot get the back of the hood to go down enough. This is just me working on it alone. If I had more hands I might be able to get more.

All in all after a couple of months I am feeling energized again. I hope I can get the car ready for paint this year. I was a year ahead of schedule. Now I think I am a year behind. But my schedule was arbitrary. I have no need to be finished soon.
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #344 on: January 28, 2018, 08:06:23 PM »
Pulled up to my garage and thought this is a great shot.
Charles Kettering

Offline FINCADI

« Reply #345 on: January 28, 2018, 11:00:14 PM »
Pulled up to my garage and thought this is a great shot.

I agree, great photo!

Offline Perk2

« Reply #346 on: January 29, 2018, 11:34:15 AM »
I agree too!!!
Calendar material!!
Thanks for sharing Carl
"Get busy living, or get busy dying!"

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #347 on: February 13, 2018, 06:51:19 PM »
I splurged and bought fender bottom patch panels from USA auto parts. $250 for the pair. It will take me a while to get up the nerve to cut it off.
Charles Kettering

Offline 6Caddy2

« Reply #348 on: February 14, 2018, 08:51:54 AM »
WOW!!!! Those look nice, nothing like fresh metal! From what I've seen Carl, when your ready to cut them off the new ones will be "spot on"!!!

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #349 on: February 18, 2018, 07:50:29 PM »
I will take the fenders off to weld in the repair.  I thought about doing it on the vehicle to help in lining up the metal. But I decided it is straight forward and not be hard to straighten latter.

I finished bead blasting and painting primer on my hinges.  I will mount the doors the check them to each other.  I still need to sandblast the door I got from russ. It did snow this weekend so that got delayed.  From what I can tell the stamping and hole differences from 61 to 62 are contained in one 6 by 12 inch area.  I will cut that section out of my door and weld it into the new one.
Charles Kettering