Author Topic: A few trailer questions  (Read 679 times)

Offline ellislives

A few trailer questions
« on: January 26, 2018, 12:13:59 PM »
Hello All –

I will be moving ~1,440 miles in the next couple of months from the D/FW area to central Maryland.  I have my wife, kids, the dogs and our stuff taken care of but I am trying to figure out the cars.  I will likely ship my wife’s Subaru and my ’82 CJ7 but the biggest question is my Blazer and the Cadillac.  I am considering purchasing an auto hauler and doing it myself.  The problem is the Cadillac is about 3 feet longer and 1,000 lbs heavier than the Blazer.  I figure if I spec the trailer for the Cadillac, I’ll have no trouble with the other vehicles. 

I have a few questions for those of you towing. 

-   What length are you guys using?  The length is about 18.5 feet so I am thinking a 20 footer would work.
-   Has anyone experienced issues with the tail hitting ground because of the approach angle of a standard car hauler?  You can buy ones that tilt so that the floor actually is on the ground versus ramps.
-   Has anyone has any experience towing with a Tundra.  I have a 2012 CrewMax 4x4.  The numbers appear to be within range for the right trailer setup.  The move will require some up and down along the Blue Ridge Mountains. 
e l    l        i                  s

Offline Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
Re: A few trailer questions
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 01:24:56 PM »
When I worked in equipment rental we would never allow anyone in a Tundra tow a bobcat or equipment trailer. They had the pulling power. But not stopping. Twice people in tundras were pushed into intersections causing accidents. This was more then 12 years ago.

For trailer ramp angles I just looked for small hills or curds that fixed it.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline ellislives

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 03:12:18 PM »
That is a completely different truck model thanwhat I have.  The towing capacity on mine is listed as 10,300.  I have flat towed my Jeep (Curb weight of 3,000 lbs) and forgotten it's back there.  The Cadillac is about 5K lbs but adding a trailer adds a bit more math.  I have a line on an aluminum trailer.  It lists a GVWR of 7,440 lbs with 2X 3500# axles.  I am comfortable pulling 7,500K with my truck but I don't want to overload this trailer.  From what I am estimating, if the trailer itself exceeds 2,500 lbs, when you add a 5K# Caddy on it, you're already over the limit.
e l    l        i                  s

Offline Dan LeBlanc

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 09:25:43 PM »
I have a 15500lb 21 1/2' equipment hauler. Trailer itself weighs 2400 lbs. Overkill?  Nope.  You want something with lots of room to spare. Its not the trailer that's the problem. Its the axles. This cost me $1000 more than a car hauler rated for 8000 lbs. It does straight, has 16" wheels, heavy duty radial tires, and better capacity electric brakes that will stop everything even if the truck brakes fail all without worrying about bending an axle if I hit a bad bump because it's so rugged. Never had an issue loading because of the 3' beavertail and 5' ramps that are all longer than a car hauler.

Has been up for any task I throw at it. Other difference is I tow with an F350. Current truck is a V10 with banks power pack making more torque and HP than the 7.3 diesel (white truck) it replaced.
1970 deVille Convertible
1977 Continental Town Car

Offline kkarrer

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 04:54:12 PM »
Hello,
    I hauled my 59 from Austin, Texas to GN in Virginia and back with no problems using my 20' trailer and my 5.7 Tundra.  Any trailer you have should have brakes.  The little electronic brake controller "boxes" that are adjustable are sold on ebay and many of the trailer places in your area. They're easy to install.  As to getting the car on and off the trailer, you'll want to first be on level or upward sloping pavement, but having some short 2x8 or 2x6's is always helpful.  I just keep some in the back of the truck just in case.  The 59's were the longest cars made and I didn't have any trouble with off or on loading as long as I paid attention to the slope as mentioned above.  I made no adjustments to my existing slide-under ramps and they are not particularly long.
Take care,
Ken Karrer Cen Tex Reg.Dir.

Offline FINCADI

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 01:16:12 AM »
This thread on trailering has been wonderful information.  I have been debating whether to drive my 1961 Cadillac the 700 miles (1400 round trip) to the Grand National this June or rent a trailer to transport it. I used to have a 20' car hauler until about 5 years ago when I lost the storage place. I used it to haul an Edsel I used to own which was a lighter and shorter vehicle than the Cadillac. The truck I had at the time was a 2008 Silverado 1500 with air bags installed on rear to lift the back end when the trailer loaded it down (I did not use a weight distributing hitch with that set up and never had any problems)  I now drive a 2013 Ford F150  4x4 crew cab with turbocharged  V-6 ecoboost and towing package.  All of the GVWR, GVW, GAW, GAWR, numbers are confusing.  From what I can tell THE GVWR is 7200, Maximum Loaded Trailer Weight with the 3.5 V-6, using a weight distributing hitch is 9200 lbs.  If I figure the car at approx. 5,000 lbs, the trailer at approx. 2500 lbs, is this truck able to safely haul the Cadillac?  Also, for those of you who use a trailer is getting the longer Cadillac door open once on the trailer a problem with the wheel wells?  Purchasing a larger truck for the sole purpose of trailering the car maybe once a year seems extreme so I am hoping the F150 will work.  Thoughts?     

Offline Dan LeBlanc

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 08:06:20 AM »
Are you planning on renting a U-Haul to transport it?  I rented a U-Haul trailer to transport another 61 Cadillac from CT to my home (about 600 miles).  I loaded up the truck and hit I-84 and hit 50mph and almost lost control.  The trailer started fishtailing.  Couldn't do anything above 40mph and when you have 600mi to go, 40mph is dreadful.  This was towing with an 04 F150 SuperCrew with 5.4 V8.

The problem was with the overhang off the rear of the trailer and the wheels just barely fit on the trailer.  The overhang took too much weight off the tongue.

You're better off driving the car if that's what you're thinking of renting.  Plus, U-Haul trailers are not rated/built to hold a 5000lb car.
1970 deVille Convertible

Offline FINCADI

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 08:51:36 AM »
Hi Dan,
The trailer I was looking at renting is not a U-Haul as they do not seem to have anything the correct size/weight load last time I looked into it when I went to the 2015 GN and took my 1971 Coupe deVille. I ended up driving it instead of trailering.  I am visiting with a trailer company that would rent out a  car hauler trailer known as the BigTex 10DM Pro Series. It weighs 2790 lbs, GVWR of 9990 lbs and GAWR (each axle) of 5080 lbs.  I gave them the weight and length of my car and they recommended this trailer. Thoughts?

Offline Dan LeBlanc

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 01:06:48 PM »
I looked at the Big Tex website and it looks like a decent trailer capable of the task. 

I know that mine is a little overbuilt for the purpose, but it hauls beautifully and it cost me only a few hundred more than a car hauler. 

Does your F150 EcoBoost have the Max Towing package or just the trailer package?  The guy that hauled my old 53 up to me had an F150 Ecoboost (about 11 years newer than my green F350).  By the time he got to my place hauling the 53, he wished he had my old F350.  He got about 8mpg towing the car.  I get 12 towing with my V10.  Your truck will do it, just not super willingly.

I sold my F150 and went to a 250 w/7.3 diesel.  Had a 350 dually with 7.3 diesel.  Now my F350 with gas V10 with Banks power pack (HP and Torque are in the same range as the 7.3) and I actually prefer the V10 - maintenance is cheaper, same power, and NO TURBO LAG!  I can't see myself going back to a 1/2 ton for towing now.
1970 deVille Convertible

Offline FINCADI

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 02:27:00 PM »
My 2013 F150 has the 3.5L Ecoboost and not the standard 2.7. I selected the ecoboost engine over the V-8 as it had a higher towing capacity and higher torque rating than the V-8. It was also supposed to have better gas mileage but I have not seen that, but then 90% of my driving is in the city. It does not have the Max Towing Package, just the standard trailer package setup.
If I did a lot of towing I definitely would go with the F250 or F350, but I cannot justify that large of a truck for how I would use it on a daily basis. I really like your equipment hauler over a standard car hauler and would definitely go that way after reading your post but I just don't have a place to store a trailer and I don't want to have to pay a monthly storage fee if I only use it once every two or three years.   
After reading your posts and doing some more research I think it will probably do ok since the trip is all flat country (Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas) and I have 4 Lane highway for just about the entire route. I really would love to just drive the car, and I still might, I just have not taken it anywhere near that far before.