Author Topic: trunk fabric  (Read 557 times)

Offline tommymissy

trunk fabric
« on: January 27, 2018, 09:23:23 AM »
What is the color and make of the fabric used to cover the inside of the trunk on the 1962 cadillac convertibles. Who can the fabric  be purchased from. What glue is used to adhere it. Out 62 convertible has a white body and the burgandy/red interior

Offline Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
Re: trunk fabric
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 09:50:01 AM »
SMS. But it is expensive
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline rare eldorado

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 10:14:56 AM »
Hello  Tommymissy  Unless you have an Eldorado the trunk fabric was a light gray burlap type material. As clewisiii  stated sms is very  exspensive  There are good upholstery shops that can get the same material at almost half the price . Are there any shops near you?    Have you tried to research it on the internet? The best glue is the 3m spray for upholstery .It sets up in about 3 min// and will not come loose in extreme temps// If you have an eldo//the trunk was the same color as the int//..The sides were burlap type material and the floor and spare tire cover were carpeted in cut pile as the int . 61was styled different.

Offline 6Caddy2

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 11:25:14 AM »
Hi Tommymissy, this is the trunk kit I installed from "HILL JENKINS" out of Wilkesboro, North Carolina,who has been doing cadillac interiors and trunk kits for a long time! Do an Internet search. I installed the kit in about 4 hrs. useing 3m spray adhesive which you can purchase from your local automotive store. His kits are not cheap, you can go to your local shop see if they have what you need, and as stated by rare eldorado you can contact SMS...

Offline Clewisiii

• Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 11:41:52 AM »
You inspired me to check my old parts for patterns. I need to look into new cardboard panels
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline 6Caddy2

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2018, 12:24:04 PM »
Carl, I've seen your work by your own hand on your car it's outstanding, here is a photo of what  is called backer board for doing boarders in picture frames, I ran across this at a place my wife goes to called Michaels arts&scarfts store, I believe is a national chain store, as you can see it is just a little over 1/8" thick, you can score one side so as to bend it to meet the different contours of the trunk in our cars, it is also mold and mildew resistance BAM perfect for trunk applications,material, such as vinyl, cloth type fabric, leather, etc... used in conjunction with the 3m spray is great!!! I used it also for the underlayment in the main trunk pan! You have the patterns from the car, a little time and a x-acto knife and you can do this from the house where it's warm and make new boards so you can put your new material on them! I'm glad I could inspire you in this area! As you have done for for me as I'm getting ready to pull the motor and rebuild it in the next week, thanks again Carl for all your post and comments! Joe

Offline tommymissy

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2018, 01:28:38 PM »
Thank you for the details on the fabric. Just starting to lay out our 62  convertible. The remaining,original ,pieces of fabric in the car do look like a grey burlap type fabric.
Should the carpet parts also be grey OR would they match the white body or burgandy/red interior ?  Would the trunk floor itself be carpeted OR the burlap type covering, that area is without any covering now.
 The car still has the original cardboard in the trunk that look to be in very good shape

Offline Willits

• San Francisco Expat in Prague, Czech Republic
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 04:14:31 AM »
This is my next project on the Tomato.   

I plan to do mine in a trunk mat fleece with the GM waffle pattern. 

https://www.profitautointeriors.com/images/parts/profit/acc/fullsize/Trunk_05.jpg

https://www.profitautointeriors.com/products/LUGGAGE-SHEET-56-X-80-FLEECE/352036/6035.html

I have run across a few pics of ‘58’s & ‘59s with this material in them.   So, I might be a year or 2 off for the right material for the '61, but it was affordable and will be an improvement over what’s in there now.  The '58 will get the same. 

As far as glue I am planning on using 3M super 77 adhesive. 

Peter

Eldorado fins, whitewalls and skirts
Rides just like a little bit of heaven here on earth
Well buddy when I die throw my body in the back
And drive me to the junkyard in my Cadillac
-Cadillac Ranch

1958 Coupe DeVille http://bit.ly/1O6BGVu
1961 62 Convertible http://bit.ly/1O6BHst

Offline rare eldorado

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 10:14:31 AM »
Hello tommy the floor would be burlap type fabric as the whole trunk would be ,,,the spare tire would also be burlap material  .it was an option in devilles ///the color will be light gray . as I mentioned earlier only the eldo had carpeted trunks .premade card boards can be purchased from opgi or usa parts if needed

Offline FINCADI

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2018, 10:37:17 AM »
I redid the trunk in my 1961 a year ago.  I did use burlap type fabric from SMS so I am sure I paid a little more for it, but it was good quality and match and I think it came out very nice.  I used HDX Multi-Purpose Spray Adhesive and it has held up well in freezing temperatures as well as temperatures well into the 100's.  When I took these photos I had not yet replaced the cardboards around the hinges. It took me about 6 hours to do mine.