Author Topic: trunk fabric  (Read 397 times)

Offline tommymissy

Re: trunk fabric
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2018, 04:03:49 PM »
fincadi,
That trunk looks very nice. Did you use a backing material under the actual floor covering?
The 62 we have has a box around the trunk  latch area that currently has what I believe to be the original fabric covering it as well.

Offline FINCADI

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 04:37:08 PM »
fincadi,
That trunk looks very nice. Did you use a backing material under the actual floor covering?
The 62 we have has a box around the trunk  latch area that currently has what I believe to be the original fabric covering it as well.

I did  use a backing material under the actual fabric covering in areas where the factory backer board had deteriorated. I removed the old fabric from the old boards first and then if needed I adhered a very thin foam pad on top of the old board prior to recovering. Some areas, such as the wheel well humps, did not have a backing on it originally, so the fabric was just applied directly to the metal with the new material. There is a metal box around the latch area on my car as well if that is what you are referring to (my car does not have the electric trunk release so that box may be different). On this portion I duplicated the exact amount of fabric that was used to cover the box on my car as was used from the factory, which meant that the fabric covered part of that box, but not all of it.  Good luck with your project. It will make a world of difference in the appearance of your trunk once you are done.   Doug

Offline tommymissy

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 06:21:17 PM »
Doug, Our car does have the electric trunk release.
 Thanks for the info on the backer board. Hope to get the area looking nice as yours too.