Author Topic: install the oil dipstick tube on a 1956 Cadillac  (Read 947 times)

Offline shatsnider

install the oil dipstick tube on a 1956 Cadillac
« on: July 24, 2016, 08:11:16 PM »
How do I install a new oil dipstick tube?  The old one has been removed.  I have a new one.

Thanks for your help

Offline caddyguy

Re: install the oil dipstick tube on a 1956 Cadillac
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2016, 11:45:02 PM »
I would line it up, place a bit of grease on it where it goes into the block and use a screw driver. Place a screwdriver that fits into the tube and gently hammer the screwdriver, handle should touch top of dipstick tube, until it is in. Thats how I did it.G

Offline shatsnider

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2016, 03:34:11 PM »
Should I be concerned about hitting anything inside the engine?

Offline caddyguy

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2016, 07:28:04 PM »
well if you want to be safe remove the drain pan and watch that it clears the crank. If it get too close to the crank use a closed box wrench to bend it slightly. G

Offline JAG56Cad

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2016, 08:14:36 PM »
The tube itself will not once is seated, however when you insert the oil dipstick it could hit the bearing cap (second from the front).

As George states the best method is to remove the oil pan as you have a full view and space to bend the tube for the dipstick to clear.
Jose Gomez
CLC Member #23082

Offline The Johnny

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 10:46:33 AM »
I am confused as always.

My oil dipstick tube has an edge on it so that you insert it till the edge or lip makes contact with the block. So no problem with installing to far. Now if your new tube does not have the edge then be careful as Jose says.

Also I stick the tube in the freezer for a few days then install. Slides in easily.

The Johnny

Offline shatsnider

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 07:35:58 PM »
I now have determined that the old tube was broken off at the block.  Any "easy" way to remove it from the block?

Offline JAG56Cad

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 08:08:51 PM »
Where did it break off on the outside or inside of the block?

If it was on the outside you could drive the piece left on the inside by careful tapping it out. The tube extends about 4Ē-5Ē inside the block, the length of the cast hole on the block were the tube inserts is about 1Ē or so.

If the piece of tube still inside the hole you could drive it out with a similar diameter tube from the outside in. ??? It all depends on where and how bad the brake is to find other alternatives for removing it.

Good luck..!
Jose Gomez
CLC Member #23082

Offline 53_2drHT

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 08:53:39 PM »
Hello, I read these several posts with interest, since I am going to be installing a reproduced dipstick tube in my Ď53. The engine was rebuilt by the previous owner and Sanderson headers were installed, and at that time the original dipstick tube was removed as there isnít much room for one as a result. In addition, the hole in the block was and is, plugged. I donít know what was used to plug the hole, but iíll be removing the oil pan and hopefully iíll be able to remove the plug. Then I hope to relieve the header tube and or flange to allow the install of the new tube. When I discovered the problem, I couldnít believe somebody actually would leave an engine with no way to check the oil! Who does that? Hmmmm....

Offline The Johnny

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 10:33:56 PM »
Folks,

Once you get the dip stick hole cleared and ready for the installation on the new tube I have found that one should stick the dip stick tube in the freezer for a few days. If the dip stick hole is clean it will slide right in without problems. This worked on a 52, 56, and 59 Cadillac.

The Johnny