Author Topic: 1955 hood springs  (Read 585 times)

Offline walt c

1955 hood springs
« on: July 04, 2017, 09:45:16 AM »
Hi guys!
  I've driven my 1955 CDV for 17-18 yes now and the hood has always failed to stay up by itself. (I installed a hold open rod...junkyard special which has served me well!) Anyway, fast forward to the present and I am considering purchasing new hood springs. (was browsing Ebay and saw a vendor selling them) Question: has any fellow CLC members purchased new springs and how are they "holding up"? (my springs fail to hold the hood up and yes I have tried the various adjustment positions that GM has on the lower end of the spring position)....just wondering....walt...tulsa,ok

Offline johnregrus

Re: 1955 hood springs
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 01:34:34 PM »
I just cut off one loop from the spring and re attached. Worked great. 

Offline Eldorado Mike

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 05:57:33 PM »
Hi Walt, I just bought a couple of pairs of the new 1955 springs on eBay.

I Installed a set on a 55 Convertible I have and the hood sprang to life.....with hood up the new spring forced the hood right to and held against the stops on the hinges.

I would love to see and hear how John cut a loop off and re-attached the spring.............I'm guessing a torch was involved.

Mike B in Ct

Offline walt c

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 04:11:56 PM »
Mike,
  Trust me, there couldn't have been a torch involved. The only way I see to increase tension on the spring would be to install washers (with a slot cut for installation) inside the spring on the top hook end). May I ask who the Ebay seller was who you bought from? As most of us know, replacement parts very seldom duplicate factory quality.....walt...tulsa,ok

Offline Eldorado Mike

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 04:44:44 PM »
Hi Walt,

John above said he cutoff a loop and then reattached.

The cutoff part is easy......I just wondered how you could bend a coil to reattach....yikes!

Here is a link to the seller on eBay I purchased my set of springs....my auction was without reserve so I was able to get them for less.....they're still worth every penny at this price if you have a real saggy hood.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-CADILLAC-HOOD-SPRINGS-PAIR-SPRING-BRAND-NEW-HIGH-QUALITY-NEW-PAIR-CADDY-55-/172753062051?hash=item2838e288a3:g:SOMAAOSw8d5ZU91Y

Mike

Offline kkarrer

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 09:36:14 PM »
Let me mention this as I just did it for a friend... If you look underneath where the spring attaches to the body, there are three possible positions to attach the spring to.  I made a tool (basically a piece of chain connected to a rod) and pulled the spring down and into the next step on the attachment and the hood is now staying up.  That being said, if you still have problems, just get a new pair of springs.  Some of the ones being offered are stainless and I probably wouldn't go for those.  If you're bringing the car to GN, I'll do it for you in the parking lot.
Ken Karrer  CenTex CLC Reg. Dir.

Offline caddyguy

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 12:38:42 PM »
I purchased the springs from the vendor on ebay a while back. I install one side and all was fine. The other one broke upon installation. I found the metal used to reproduce these is thinner than the originals. I've sent the vendor an email with a picture of the broken part. Fortunately no one was hurt and the car was unharmed when it let go.

Offline Eldorado Mike

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 05:48:08 PM »
WoW !!   Thank goodness you weren't injured !

I guess I was lucky as I was able to put in all 4 of the springs I bought on eBay.

But it was one of the scariest jobs I've ever done on a Cadillac.

I hope the eBay vendor makes good with a new one.

Mike
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 10:25:27 PM by Eldorado Mike »

Offline caddyguy

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 05:24:34 PM »
Well the vendor made good on replacement of the spring. He shot me an email this morning said no problem asked for shipping address and sent tracking number of the package. All in 1 day, I'm impressed with the service. More than I have gotten from other vendors when I had an issue with there products. G

Offline yellow_cad

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2017, 07:54:10 PM »
I know that it is not a good idea to lube (WD40, etc) the hinge mechanism.  Also, a torch takes the temper out of the spring.  I should be cut with a grinding wheel and preferably a cut-off wheel.