Author Topic: Some exhaust questions  (Read 232 times)

Offline Cadillacfreak

Some exhaust questions
« on: October 24, 2017, 11:13:02 AM »
Hi Guys,

My Cadillac needs a complete new exhaust. I now have a single system with only one muffler (in the middle of the car).
What do you suggest? A single system or a double system? And what are the benefits or reasons to go for a double exhaust system?
And do you know where I can find a complete exhaust system? I think Caddydaddy is very expensive. My concern is that a complete system doesn't fit right.
And what's better, alluminized or stainless steel?

Offline Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
Re: Some exhaust questions
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 11:39:19 AM »
http://waldronexhaust.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=61_32_130&zenid=gjagf9fh5gujtaulpfn7ngv8s7

What are your goals.  Stainless last longer. But has a harsher sound. Duel system gives easier exhaust gas flow. Can give you more power. Basically the same it up as 59.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline kkarrer

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 01:52:23 AM »
I just got a Waldron's system in for my 61 Biarritz.  They're the only company that I'd use...very high quality and sure fit.  Stainless works fine,but give you a different sound and the aluminized holds up very well.  Just remember to use some POR 15 paint on any welds.  Also, using stainless steel clamps has worked out very well for me.  According to the Cadillac literature for 1961, Cadillac went to single exhaust because it lasted longer as there was supposedly less moisture buildup with a single system.  I suspect it had more to do with cost savings, but I went with the single system (aluminized) with the resonator and stainless clamps.  By the way, do any of you guys have a source for the correct hangers?
Thanks,
Ken Karrer
CenTex Reg. Dir.
kenneth.karrer@gmail.com

Offline 62 Coupe

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 03:24:09 PM »
A single 2 1/4" exhaust system on a 390 cubic inch motor is ridiculous. For one, factor is the length of the system. The exhaust as it comes out of the cylinder head is very hot and is considered to be quite "fluid" and able to negotiate tight bends relatively easily. The further down the system the exhaust goes, the cooler it gets and the harder it is to force around bends. The single exhaust had to be a cost saving measure as well as the fact that they could get the bigger gas tank in for 62. A standard aluminized system should last a long time if your car isn't exposed to salt and winter time driving. The biggest harm to steel exhaust systems are short trips of 5 or 10 minutes. The exhaust system doesn't get hot enough to evaporate the moisture generated by a cool engine. This moisture rots the exhaust system from the inside out. If you just start your car occasionally during storage, you really need to let it reach full operating temperature. If it's still spitting moisture out of the tail pipes, don't turn it off.
He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill

Offline 6262

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 03:36:23 PM »
@62 Coupe Dan, I doubt that it was a cost saving measure. All the other GM brands either kept duals as standard equipment on their halo models or offered it at least as an option. You could get almost any model with duals during the 60s. Except on Cadillacs, not even for a few dollars extra.

I would rule out the tank, too. There was a smaller tank in '61 and no X-frame after '64.

I think it was more about quietness and distinction. And they considered duals to be too vulgar and plebeian when everybody started to have it.

I just got a Waldron's system in for my 61 Biarritz.  By the way, do any of you guys have a source for the correct hangers?
Thanks,
Ken Karrer
CenTex Reg. Dir.
kenneth.karrer@gmail.com

@kkarrer   I want to replace my low quality duals with a Waldron (single) system as well. Great to see positive reviews. Apparently there is no source for new hangers...

« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 05:42:32 AM by 6262 »

Offline Cadillacfreak

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 03:56:58 PM »
Good to read that Waldron offers great exhausts. I've orderded a complete single alluminized exhaust. Hopefully it gets here quick.