Author Topic: 62 Hard to start  (Read 202 times)

Offline leggman

62 Hard to start
« on: November 22, 2017, 07:03:14 PM »
Last year I rebuilt the carb on my 62 coupe deville and it runs strong and idles nice and smooth but I have a couple of questions.
If the car sits for more than one day I have to pour gas down its throat to get it to start???
Once it starts it runs great.
About the same time I rebuilt the carb I replaced the fuel pump and I am wondering if I would not be better off with a low pressure electric pump?
Keeping everything spot on original is not a high priority for me.
Thanks   Dave

Offline russ austin

Re: 62 Hard to start
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 07:23:58 PM »
Check the accelerator pump to ensure that gas is squirting out the nozzles.  Then check that the choke is setting closed on a cold engine, first thing in the morning.
63 series 62 4 window sedan, 63 Superior Hearse
62 Fleetwood

Tucson, AZ  USA

Offline 62droptop

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • 62 series 62 droptop southern ontario canada
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 10:29:42 PM »
i had same issue
if I parked car hot, you could smell the fuel boiling in the carb
when I went to  restart, I would have to crank it for at least a minute to get fuel back into carb
I installed an electric fuel pump and now I just turn key on for a few seconds to let carb fill up,hit gas to set choke and fire it up

if I ran car only a few  minutes and didn't get it hot, I could shut car down and fire it up a couple weeks later like it was just shut off,because  the fuel didn't boil out .
fuel now boils at a stupidly low temperature , and when you park it hot, the engine is a huge heat sink,compunuded but the large air breather reflecting heat back to carb
if I remember correctly  like a  150degrees Fahrenheit
I think  the ethanol is to blame here

also ,check you fuel pump poppet valves ,they have a bad habit of popping out on the mechanical aftermarket fuel pumps
I had a couple that went south quickly and that is why I installed an electric pump
1962 Cadillac series 62 ragtop

driven like it is stolen
broken because it was driven(still)

Offline rare eldorado

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 10:58:20 AM »
Hello Members The problem with starting and running on hot days is not the cars basicly . The ethonal based fuels have a lower boiling point than leaded gas from when these cars were built .The ethonal based fuel boils at such a low point that it does not hold up long in carb/ cars .Fuel injected cars are under pressure that solved that problem and is why ethonal was used,,and for other reasons .Many  of my customers have that problem with gas.Some customers use non ethonal gas do not have the problems  as others . Also I found that 61-64 caddys that have factory air condition do not have the problem with gas as they have a fuel return line coming off the fuel filter that recirculates the  gas back to the tank,,, that flow of gas seems to cool the gas enough that it will not get as hot and cause these problems .Adding an electric pump will help as it creates some pressure in the fuel line .However to much pressure will damage a carb/and pump.My 62 eldo has factory air and does not have the gas cooling problem on account of the return fuel line to the tank . Keeping the gas cool is the 1 key factor .Also if the cars are converted too electronic ignition for quicker starts seems to help. I have found some stations that sell leaded gas that helps these cars run great ,,but the octain rating is not the same as back then ,,no high test as yet. Also carbs/   and fuel pumps that are not rebuilt with kits for ethonal gas seem to have leaking problems .Make sure adjustment are correct on carbs and timing to eliminate  hot start problems.

Offline leggman

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 08:49:04 PM »
I am thinking a big part of my problem is the timing. Once it is warm it doesn't want to turn over good. I am thinking the timing might be too far advanced.
Is there a timing plater and marks for setting the timing?

Offline russ austin

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 07:27:36 AM »
I am thinking a big part of my problem is the timing. Once it is warm it doesn't want to turn over good. I am thinking the timing might be too far advanced.
Is there a timing plater and marks for setting the timing?

Hard to crank after a warm up is symptom of a worn starter OR bad battery cables. Cheaper to replace the battery cables first.
63 series 62 4 window sedan, 63 Superior Hearse
62 Fleetwood

Tucson, AZ  USA

Offline rare eldorado

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 08:55:24 AM »
  Hello Leggman     If your battery cables are good do a load test on your battery ,If your battery has a bad cell or cannot pull 13.o volts on a load test ,,change out the battery .replace with at least a 750 cold cranking amps battery. Stay away from cheap batterys as they do not last more than 2 years .Do you have a battery tender when car is not being used?  Do a load test on the starter it should not pull more than 14 volts  when hot .Check all your ground straps that they are not broke ,,,enjine to body ,body to frame. also check gen/output should be 15,2 volts at 900 rpm with hot enjine,If you still suspect timing it should be 5deg/ before top center ...marks are on damper with a pointer on the timing cover.Check with enjine at running temp/vac /advance disconnected and pluged Do you have points or electronic ign ?If points check that they are not pitted .

Offline leggman

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 08:29:26 PM »
I bought a crane XR-i ignition module last year but have not put it in yet. The weather here is supposed to be good for another week or so and I need to change out the valve cover gaskets. Also I need to see why it won't start after sitting. It's always something.