Author Topic: 1956 fuel sender tech tip ;)  (Read 471 times)

Offline JAG56Cad

1956 fuel sender tech tip ;)
« on: November 26, 2017, 07:47:00 AM »
So my new fuel sender is in and and the old one was re-done and both bench tested it before placing the new one back in the tank, all is fine it reads “E” with the float down and ½ about half way and “F” all the way up.  8)

Place the new sender back in the tank and fill it with 5 gallons of gas, turn the ignition key on and the gauge verily reads above “E”.    >:(

Hmm well the tank capacity is 20 gallons with no reserve as the modern cars, the gauge should read about Ό pass “E”, but it is not. ???

Back to troubleshooting, remove the sender from the tank and redo the test again, all seems fine, so back to the Service Manual. Section 13 Fig. 13-10 show the distance of the sender float travel perpendicular from the arm pivot to “F” should be 3 ½”. 

Take my carpenter square, place it against the flat mounting face of the sender, center it on the float arm pivot, lift the float to “F” and read the distance. I have about 4 ½” well that is my problem float is too high.   :o

Re-adjust the arm until the reading is 3 ½” being careful with making the adjustment. Place it back in the tank still have the same 5 gallons as before, turn the ignition key on and “BINGO” now the gauge reads about Ό pass “E”.

Just a tech tip before you place a new sender unit in the tank, make sure the adjustment of the float is done by not trusting the new sender to be correct. Else you may be driving yourself crazy by troubleshooting fuel gauge or other electrical issues.  ;)
Jose Gomez
CLC Member #23082

Offline Francesco

Re: 1956 fuel sender tech tip ;)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2018, 04:42:27 AM »
Hello,

i'm currently having the same problem with my 56 Fleetwood... altough i tested everything with the sender out of the tank, connecting it to the wiring of the car with a testing wire.  Gauge reads E all the time.
I it normal for the fuel sender float to contain a fluid?

Greetings from Belgium.

Francesco
1959 Sedan De Ville "Flattop"
1960 Sedan De Ville Six Window
1956 Fleetwood Sixty Special

Offline South_paw

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2018, 05:38:20 AM »
No the fuel sender should be dry. This is why your fuel sender is reading E. It is filling up with fuel and sinking to the E position. You can get a new float from the 55-57 Chevys.
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline Francesco

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 07:59:08 AM »
Oh ok, then I'll try to empty it and solder it back together. I looked for a tiny hole, but couldnt' find one...guess I didn't looked good enough....

Offline PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 06:10:14 PM »
DO NOT SOLDER IT! You will turn the float into a flame thrower, it is full of fuel. Don't ask me how I know this >:( :-\ :-[

Offline South_paw

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2018, 05:23:15 AM »
DO NOT SOLDER IT! You will turn the float into a flame thrower, it is full of fuel. Don't ask me how I know this >:( :-\ :-[

Hahaha.
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline Francesco

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2018, 01:23:49 AM »
Hey Guys, it was a petty cool flame thrower!!!!
First I let the gas drip out, then I "burned" the rest of the gas out.
Checked the fuel gauge with a set of dummy resistors that i hooked to the  brown sender wire (5, 10, 15, 22, and 33 ohm) to simulate the fuel levels, before I installed the sender back. Gauge is very accurate.
Then I managed tho repair a crack in the side of the float by soldering it. Tested it in a bowl of water to make sure it didn't leak anymore. Checked the sender resistance and it was also OK, no shorts or interruptions between 0 and 33 ohms.
Also checked the distance of 3 1/2" float to pivot point.
Put the sender back in the fuel tank, but first i had to put my sigar away....
Fuel tank was almost 1/2 full.  Turn the key and tadaaaa: pointer just halfway 1/4  and 1/2 tank!

Clock: works
heater and vent: working
radio: i restored it, added a little bluetooth-AM transmitter and now Hank Williams croones from the speakers
Autronic Eye: also repaired, works just perfect.
(If you guys want, i can make a thread about the electronics repair)
Power seats and windows: works
A/C: car doesn't have it  :'(
Trunk release (without the pull down mechanism): works

Greetings,
Francesco

Offline PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 02:21:44 PM »
Hank Williams is good. Glad your flamethrower experience was good, mine was fun in hindsight, but it pains me to admit what a dumbass I was!