Author Topic: 1952 Fleetwood restomod electrical issues  (Read 126 times)

Offline papas52cad

1952 Fleetwood restomod electrical issues
« on: November 27, 2017, 09:08:07 AM »
Hello
I am new to the Mid century CLUB, And a proud new owner of a restomod, 1952 fleetwood from CA. It now happily resides here in the NY Catskill mountain region. This car is just great, as I compare it to the 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 HT, that I restored and have enjoyed since 2010.
But my new car passion need some minor help with a few issues I have discovered.
I have searched for help but have not found an answer so I am hopeful some of the many experts here can help me in my quest.
FYI, this car was upgraded to 12v, (has a new 6v harness from resto) and includes a 1959 390 motor and 59 Jetaway trains.
#1- all door switches Are disconnected, and there is no voltage on the wire spades that are easily accessible . FYI, The front  map lights do work using the driverside map light switch. My understanding is the map lights go on via switch and should also come on when front doors r opened.
For the rear door switches, If I understand correctly these turn on pillar and overhead lights when door is open. FYI the pillar and the overhead light work via both pillar switches.
What is the correct wire connection from front doors, i.e. Where is wire terminated to get power?
Same for rear, do the door switch wires connect to the pillar switch? I have not removed pillar switch for fear of the unknown behind the switch...is this a simple wire connection? Given this car is new to me I am proceeding very cautiously.
My other question is the about a power window switch. FYI all windows work using the driver side master window control. The rear passenger side window switch however does not work window. Can this switch be removed/serviced without removing the  door panel. If so how do I remove the chrome bezel?
I will look forward to any help, ideas and suggestions that can be offered to help me resolve any of above.
I am sure I will have more questions that come up as I learn more about my new car. I look forward to becoming a long time member, and maybe eventually a contributor!!

Peter T.
Saugerties, NY.

Offline South_paw

Re: 1952 Fleetwood restomod electrical issues
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 07:00:49 PM »
A little confused about your window issue. You wrote that all door switches are disconnected but the master control and rear window works? Can you clarify this. Do you know if the power windows were converted to 12 vote as well or do you still have the original hydraulic setup in there?
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline papas52cad

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 08:30:28 PM »
Hello south paw
Sorry for confusing things with more than one issue in my post
The 4 door "plunger" switches that are used to activate the interior dash and/or dome lights have been disconnected. This is a separate issue from the passenger door power window switch that is not working. It seems the problem is with this particular switch since this same window can be put up or Down using the driver master power window switch. Can the passenger rear window switch be taken off without removing door panel? If so how do I remove the chrome bezel?

FYI, Based on what The previous owner told me the guy he bought the 52 from and who did the major restoration including the change to 12 volt, swithced the power windows and power bench seat over to all electric and discontinued use if the hydro electric system. Good news to bone so there is no need to flush and refill the hydro-electric reservoir.
Hope this clarifies my issues.

The door light switches remain an issue and I hope to learn how to reconnect these and get power to these switches so they activate the dash or dome and pillar lights.
Looking forward to any guidance you can offer.
Peter

Hello
I am new to the CLC CLUB, Member #: 31031  And a proud new owner of a restomod, 1952 fleetwood from CA. It now happily resides here in the NY Catskill mountain region. This car is just great, as I compare it to My 1957 Ford Fairlane 500 HT, that I restored and have enjoyed since 2010.
But my new " love" need some minor help with a few issues I have discovered.
I have searched this site for help but have not found an answer so I am hopeful some of the many experts here can help me in my quest.
FYI, this car was upgraded to 12v, (has a new 6v harness from resto) and includes a 1959 390 motor and 59 Jetaway trains.
#1- all door switches Are disconnected, and there is no voltage on the wire spades that are easily accessible . FYI, The front  map lights do work using the driverside map light switch. My understanding is the map lights go on via switch and should also come on when front doors r opened.
For the rear door switches, If I understand correctly these turn on pillar and overhead lights when door is open. FYI the pillar and the overhead light work via both pillar switches.
What is the correct wire connection from front doors, i.e. Where is wire terminated to get power?
Same for rear, do the door switch wires connect to the pillar switch? I have not removed pillar switch for fear of the unknown behind the switch...is this a simple wire connection? Given this car is new to me I am proceeding very cautiously.
My other question is the about a power window switch. FYI all windows work using the driver side master window control. The rear passenger side window switch however does not work window. Can this switch be removed/serviced without removing the  door panel. If so how do I remove the chrome bezel?
I will look forward to any help, ideas and suggestions that can be offered to help me resolve any of above.
I am sure I will have more questions to pose to this group and I look forward to becoming a long time member, and maybe eventually a contributor!!
Enjoy your weekend
Peter T.
Saugerties
Thank for any help

Offline South_paw

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 08:46:23 PM »

You're in luck. The entire 1952 shop manual is available online for free. Go to the body section to get the answers you need.

http://cadillac.oldcarmanualproject.com/manuals/1952/1952%20Shop%20Manual/17-Accessories/page1.html
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline papas52cad

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 12:44:00 PM »
Hi Lou
Nice to meet you, thank you for this, I will go thru and see if I can find the references and how to repair.
Thank you again for replying.
Stay well
Peter