Author Topic: 1959 series 62 convertible charging issue!  (Read 166 times)

Offline kkarrer

1959 series 62 convertible charging issue!
« on: November 28, 2017, 10:40:56 PM »
Ok guys, here's one to ponder.  I'm a bit stumped here and trying to help a member with his 59 series 62.  The car is dying on night drives.  The headlights are overtaxing the charging system.  Thus far we've replaced the battery, had the generator rebuilt including new armature, and replaced the relay.  The generator was polarized after it was installed according to the directions in the shop manual, but the problem persists.  The only other thing that I can think of is the circuit.  Also, the gen light is not coming on, so that may be a clue.  Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Ken Karrer
CenTex Reg. Dir.
kenneth.karrer@gmail.com

Offline novetti

Re: 1959 series 62 convertible charging issue!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 11:24:59 PM »
Start the engine, remove the negative cable from the cable with the engine running. If the engine dies when you remove the cable the Generator/Regulator is not charging.

Have you checked/replaced the Voltage regulator?

Replace the Gen bulb indicator  and test it all again. If the issue doesn't happen with the lights on it might be something in that circuit. Try disconnecting / removing one bulb by one to see if you can isolate the area in the harness where the short/leakage is.

Offline South_paw

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 06:31:35 AM »
Hi Ken,

Whats your voltage output with the headlights on?
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline JAG56Cad

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 07:04:05 AM »
Ken,

In your post you make reference to a relay, assuming this would be the VR voltage regulator correct?
At idle the generator just provides voltage but it does not generate charging capacity, the battery would be the one providing the capacity for the load.

Does the same condition happens when the engine is rev to about 1500 rpm’s?

If the “GEN” pilot on the dash is not turning on it could be a burn light bulb, open wire, loose connection or open/bad fuse.

The attached wiring diagram (right side only) which I’ve corrected from the original since it had the “BAT/GEN” labels reversed on the original shows a 6A fuse in-line with the brown wire going to the “GEN” dash pilot. You may need to check the Service Manual for the location of the fuse.

You can do a quick test on the generator/regulator by connecting a voltmeter at the regulator “BAT” terminal at idle and see what voltage you have, it should be about the same as what the battery has with no load. Revving the engine to about 1500 rpm’s should increase the voltage to about 13V-14V, you would need to check the service manual for the specs on output voltage. If you do not see the voltage increase this shows the VR may not be cycling for charging.

I like to use an old style analog ammeter 50-0-50 in series with the “BAT” wire from the VR, this will tell you if the circuit is charging to discharging.

Good luck…!   
Jose Gomez
CLC Member #23082

Offline rare eldorado

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 08:32:03 AM »
Do not forget to check all your ground straps .A broken ground strap can cause charging problems also .Check that the voltage reg/ will match the gen/.If the gen/ puts out more than the reg/ can handle the system will not charge under heavy load. Also if the car has factory a/c make sure that the gen and reg are for an a/c car there is a difference. 

Offline kkarrer

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 02:56:08 PM »
Guys,
    Yes, I meant to say voltage regulator (actually changed it twice) and yes my ground wires/straps are making good contact and they are new original style (woven copper wire).  I'll check the bulb and then back track from there on the circuit.
Thanks,
Ken

Offline rare eldorado

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 08:53:53 AM »
Will this problem only happen when the headlights are on ?Do you have halogen headlamps? Halogens are hard on alt/more less gen.One problem I found on a 59 was the ground wires were bad on the headlight grounds ware they are screwed to the body right behind the headlamp bulb to the core support .Causing the headlights too draw more power than needed This was a rare one that took a lot of time to find .Mostly corrosion.