Author Topic: Question on length  (Read 328 times)

Offline Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
Question on length
« on: December 16, 2017, 06:45:50 PM »
Just a quick question. For the mid 50s vehicles why are the 2 door versions longer then the 4 door versions
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline South_paw

Re: Question on length
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 07:13:55 PM »
Not sure what you mean by that question. All of the Cadillacs are riding on a 129" wheelbase. The only exception is the 60S which rides on a 133" wheelbase. So in reality the 60S sedan is longer than any 2 door car.
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2017, 07:39:45 AM »
I was talking overall  length. 

"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline Lexi

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2017, 06:15:12 PM »
Like Lou, I am not sure either. The 1956 Series 62 Sedan which was 214 inches in overall length as per that posted chart, was an 'el cheapo' model for that year of Cadillac. Looks like GM created that short deck model to save on materials and cost to the public. Perhaps also an incentive to get the ladies to drive a smaller Cadillac car as well?  My '56 Imperial Limo also has 4 doors, though it is the longest car that Cadillac produced that year at 235.7 inches in length. The wheel base was 149.8 inches. The '56 8 Passenger Sedan had those same dimensions as well. Curiously it also has a short deck, (due to extended 'salon' area), and even shares the same side 'spear' molding as the 4 door sedan previously mentioned. The 4 door Sedan de Ville staggers in at 221.9 inches in length, (same as the 2 door Coupe de Ville and 2 door Coupe). So not all Cadillacs are created equal.

I think because of their visual proportions, those with the longer decks may appear longer than they really are. I have also found that the term "20 footer" when referring to big cars, is used indiscriminently. Not many factory produced vehicles reach lengths of 20 feet especially back in those days. Even my Limo, which is a factory stretched vehicle, is just shy of 20 feet, and it stands out even at car shows with other behemoths. Its size usually dwarfs everything else and it looks almost freakish. It is like driving a small building around. The commercial cars are even longer, but we are talking 50's factory vehicles. Clay/Lexi
« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 06:25:30 PM by Lexi »

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 07:45:46 PM »
I assume the fenders are the same on all models.  With the wheel base the same all of the difference must be behind the rear tire.
Charles Kettering

Offline South_paw

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 07:56:03 PM »
It looks to be the rear overhang. The standard sedan has a short deck. The rest of the line has a long deck with the exception of the 75 series which has a short deck but a longer wheelbase.
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***