Author Topic: Interior Door Panel Removal  (Read 99 times)

Offline FINCADI

Interior Door Panel Removal
« on: April 13, 2018, 10:04:20 AM »
I need to remove the interior door panels on my 1961 Coupe deVille in order to replace the (non electric) vent window regulators.  I could not find in my Shop Manual a description of how to remove these panels so before I just started disconnecting things I thought I would see if someone could give me the process.  I know there are two sheet metal screws that need to be removed from where the pull handle attaches, I know the vent window handle needs to be removed and I have the tool to do that, and I know how to unbolt the door handle.  Also I would understand that there are trim clips along the perimeter of the door panel that need to be released.  I assume there is at least one or two additional attachments that need to be loosened before the trim panel can be lifted up and removed but not sure where to find them.  Can anyone give me some insight on the correct procedure. Thanks, Doug

Offline Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
Re: Interior Door Panel Removal
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2018, 11:47:28 AM »
There are two screws buried in the carpet at the bottom of the panel. One on each side. The “clips” around the door are actually nails going into plastic inserts. Make sure you use panel removal tools on them if you hope to reuse them.

Take a picture of your door panel so we can call out the attachments.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2018, 01:52:27 PM »
Nails.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline FINCADI

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2018, 04:10:18 PM »
Thank you for the information and photos Carl.  I was able to get the door panel off without any problem.  It had apparently been taken off before incorrectly as about half of the nails were gone. Also the water/vapor barrier paper was missing.  I did get the vent window regular replaced so my efforts there were successful.  I will need to find/make some vapor barrier paper and replace before I put the trim panel back on.  Thanks again!

Offline Cattle Axe

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2018, 05:22:39 PM »
Did the backing plate come off the vent regulators? You and repair them by peening the plate back on and drill and tapping a screw in to them. Replacement are like $100
1961 Series 62 Convertible
1962 Coupe Deville

"I got my self a cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline" (AC/DC down payment blues)

Offline Clewisiii

Charles Kettering

Offline 62 driver

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 10:05:14 PM »
I used visqueen. The most important thing is to tuck it into the slot at the bottom of door. Then the water runs into the door and out the bottom holes as it should. If you don’t tuck it into the slot, water will run inside the car. The idea is water is routed out the door bottom and onto the aluminum trim that is sloped out ward. 

Offline FINCADI

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 12:30:52 AM »
Did the backing plate come off the vent regulators? You and repair them by peening the plate back on and drill and tapping a screw in to them. Replacement are like $100

Yes, the backing plate came off.  I already had the replacement regulators so just replaced them with those. Your method would work, and save some money for sure.