Author Topic: Carl's 61 Fleetwood  (Read 23506 times)

Offline rare eldorado

Re: Carl's 61 Fleetwood
« Reply #310 on: August 27, 2017, 08:59:21 AM »
Carl Bead blasting will not hurt the hinges or the pins .If you need new pins ,,usa parts or opgi has some kits .there are also other supplyers that sell replacement pins.Most times it is the drivers door that would need new pins ...not always .If you are bead blasting it is best to use glass .With the quality of your restoration do you have a blast cabnet or send it out ?

Offline Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
« Reply #311 on: August 27, 2017, 09:04:36 AM »
Yes. I have a blast cabinet with glass beads. My cabinet light fixture went out yesterday. So I am taking a breather and looking at the sheet metal.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #312 on: August 27, 2017, 09:06:02 AM »
Just for fun.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #313 on: August 29, 2017, 08:37:04 AM »
I did not think about it till I did this assembly.  But the entire front clip only has one bolt to the frame in the center of the core support. Supporting core support and both fenders.
I guess I did not pay that much attention when I disassembled it.
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #314 on: August 29, 2017, 08:23:33 PM »
From time to time I ask myself why am I putting in this much effort.  It is a Fleetwood.  It will not be valuable.  And I am a novice so I am not even doing the "right" way with the best of quality anyway. 

So why don't I just fill the rust holes with bondo.  Why do all this on something that will not be worth it.

I guess it is pride and practice.   I like challenging myself.  And I like learning.  Maybe the next one will be an Eldorado with factory air.  I will have learned how to restore the AC already.  Once my student loans are paid off it will be the biggest raise in my paycheck in my life.  I could afford to do one of these cars every two years by then.  I hope I will have learned what I needed and will be ready.
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #315 on: September 19, 2017, 03:15:49 PM »
I finally got brave enough to bead blast some hinges.  They came out nice. I need to buy a new box of abrasive material.
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #316 on: October 01, 2017, 11:00:37 AM »
Turning my car sideways is far more convenient.  Plenty of room around all sides to handle body panels and work around them.  I am thinking about test fitting everything  on the front end in this step. I still need to pick up some hard wood for making metal forms.
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #317 on: October 08, 2017, 06:25:02 PM »
The repair of both passenger doors is complete. Setting the door and adjusting the door hinges seems to be easy.
I need more media to bead blast more hinges.

The hood is an issue. Fitting it to the fenders is a chore. I know my fenders were shimmed toward the back of the fenders. But it seems to be off by 3/8. There were not that many shims. I am not looking forward to making the adjustments when it is a freshly painted surface.
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #318 on: October 08, 2017, 06:49:16 PM »
One thing I noticed.  My 61 is only a foot and a half longer than my XTS. Seemed bigger then that.
Charles Kettering

Offline Dan LeBlanc

« Reply #319 on: October 08, 2017, 09:01:38 PM »
If you're referring to the hood sitting higher than the fender, you need to loosen the two bolts at the hinge to the inner fender bracket and raise the hinge at that location. That will angle the hinge up at the front bringing the back of the hood down and not shimming up the fender.
1970 deVille Convertible
1953 Series 62 Sedan
1953 Fleetwood 60S