Author Topic: New Exhaust  (Read 3137 times)

Online South_paw

Re: New Exhaust
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2017, 07:21:27 AM »
Hi Bob,

I don't recall the dia of the flex pipe. I suggest you call Waldrons and ask them. This way you can insure the flex pipe you get is correct. I attached what the parts book has to say about the length of the flex pipe.  Oh and check it out, Waldrons is correct about the mid year change on the 1955 60S exhaust.

Offline Caddy Daddy 55

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2017, 11:29:06 AM »
Thanks Lou for the information. When I gave Waldrons my engine number I gave them this number 5560128828. Ruth called me back stating this had to many numbers they were looking for a 5 or 6 digit number. After looking and trying to get the number off the back of the engine it dawned on me they just needed the number after the 5560. I called them back and Ruth was very appreciative explaining that the 55 was the year and the 60 was the model. She said the only difference is the length of the muffler before serial #82499 it is 28 3/4" long after serial #82499 it is 34" long which would change the length of the tailpipes. I guess either one would work as long as you got the correct tailpipes. I wonder why they changed lengths maybe the shorter ones were left over from 1954?
    As far as the diameter of the flex pipe Ruth told me it is 2" diameter they have it but will not install it because the boss said its a pain in the butt. Did you have a difficult time with this?
     I think I'm going to take db readings inside the cab and outside and see what the difference will be. My current mufflers are only 12" long no resonators.
     So far I'm really impressed with Waldrons.

Regards,
Bob K
Bob K
Keep Cruzin
1955 Fleetwood aka Annie

Online South_paw

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2017, 05:32:41 PM »
As far as the diameter of the flex pipe Ruth told me it is 2" diameter they have it but will not install it because the boss said its a pain in the butt. Did you have a difficult time with this?

Not gonna sugar coat it Bob. It's a pain in the ass. The flex pipe doesn't flex as much as you think it does.

Offline kkarrer

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2017, 08:08:11 PM »
As to the flex pipe, your down pipe is 2" and there will be a temptation to use 2 1/8 i.d. flex or 2/1/4.  The job will be easier if you use 2 3/8 or 2 1/2.  I'll double check, but you definitely want it a bit looser than you'd think.  This is due to the fact that the flex pipe will accommodate hard bends more easily if it doesn't fit too tightly over the exhaust pipe.  You'll find that the driver's side is usually easier than the passenger side, if memory serves.  Also, it's much better to be a bit short than too long!  Measure twice ;cut once.  You'll also need to be prepared to punch in a couple of detents in the flex pipe where the exhaust pipe meets the flange.  This is due to the fact that you have to put the nuts on the flange and the flex pipe doesn't leave room for them unless you punch them in.  I use a 2x4 with a 2" hole cut in the center.  That way it fits over the down pipe, but butts up against the flex pipe.  Then you hammer the hell out of it to get it to go as far up as you need it to go. 
Ken Karrer
CenTex CLC Reg. Dir.

Offline Caddy Daddy 55

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2017, 10:04:15 AM »
Thanks Ken,
                    Looking forward on what i.d. you have used so I can get it ordered. I appreciate the install tip sounds like it's going to be a challenge. Also did you use stainless?

Regards,
Bob K
Bob K
Keep Cruzin
1955 Fleetwood aka Annie

Offline stzomah

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2017, 09:25:09 AM »
I'm not too much help here but i have some pictures of my 56 pipes?  This work was done by Frank Nicodemus (Castle Cadillac).  Suggest you give them a call?  They could possibly help you?
Wayne Elder
56 series 62 Coupe
Owned since 1975

Offline Caddy Daddy 55

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2017, 10:51:02 AM »
Thanks Wayne for the pictures it sure looks nice. If it's not to much trouble can you measure the o.d. of the flex pipe?

Thanks again,
Bob Kielar
Bob K
Keep Cruzin
1955 Fleetwood aka Annie

Offline PHIL WHYTE CLC 14192

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2017, 02:44:19 PM »
Hi, stupid question here, but what purpose does the flexi pipes serve, make it quieter? Can't see it reducing heat? It does answer a question that I had for many years as I would se illustrations and references to flexi pipes and I assumed [I know what assume does!] that flexi pipes were used instead of solid pipes, now I know that they were covering the solid pipes. BTW I wouldn't go near Frank Nicodemus. Phil