Author Topic: Pushrods 365  (Read 723 times)

Offline vwfras

Pushrods 365
« on: September 03, 2017, 07:56:25 AM »
Building up my 56 engine, had the heads rebuilt and it turned out alot of the valve springs were upside and had a couple from a previous build. Just wanting to double check what way round the pushrods go. The manual says that the grooved end goes to the top but I would have thought the end with the two grooved lines would go to the bottom?
Photos attached.
Any help appreciated

Offline rare eldorado

Re: Pushrods 365
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 08:13:56 AM »
Assemble your enjine as specified in the gm shop manual .You will not have any problems later .After market books do not always have the correct  specs or assembly guide lines. Sometimes gm manuals have updated  specs.in a revised edition ware aftermarket manuals do not.A good machine shop can upgrade the enjine for unleaded high test fuel.

Offline vwfras

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 08:54:26 AM »
This is the other end.
The shop manual I have has been good so far but the only info regarding the push rods was that the grooved end goes at the top but looking at the rods I would have thought the the end with the two grooves should be at the bottom?Thanks

Offline JAG56Cad

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 09:34:13 AM »
This is the other end.
The shop manual I have has been good so far but the only info regarding the push rods was that the grooved end goes at the top but looking at the rods I would have thought the the end with the two grooves should be at the bottom?Thanks

The manual is correct the grove would go on the rocker side as it has the more round edge. Also check the push rods and the hydraulic lifter are the correct ones for the 56, there was a change on both per the Serviceman Bulletin attached which they do not interchange.

The old are specific for the 49 early 57 (except for 55) while the redesigned was after the late 57, the new ones can be use on the 56 as a complete set. I know as I have found the new ones on my 56 and I had a set of the older one as spares.

I do recall Johnny Washburn has also found the differences on his stash of spare parts, maybe he can chime in.

Good luck..!
Jose Gomez
CLC Member #23082

Offline vwfras

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 09:58:53 AM »
Thanks for that, it was the grooves that were throwing me off as it looks like there are grooves on either end. Hoping to get it up and running this week so I can get using it a bit before the Scottish winter comes in.

Offline Lexi

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 01:48:20 PM »
My buddy had his 365 rebuilt last year and it was discovered that incorrect push rods had been installed a few years earlier, (a slightly different length his rebuilder claimed). His car ran but it was always a little noisy in the valve train. I believe that 2 sets of heads were used that year and one set was designed to use a different push rod, or so I am told. Assuming that my buddy's car had '56 Caddy push rods from the last rebuild about 7 years ago, but installed in the wrong head; length variation according to the rebuilder was an issue (as well as that noted in Jose's post). If I recall correctly the later heads used a slightly longer push rod, (at least when compared to what came out of my buddy's engine). What exactly was installed in the previous rebuild is not 100% certain, though everything else was stock. The rebuilder also said that they were not to be used interchangeably. Wish I had more info for you but this is definitely something to keep in mind. Should you be able to determine that push rod length DID vary between the 2 heads available that year, I am sure members would be interested to learn. Clay/Lexi
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 02:19:37 PM by Lexi »

Offline South_paw

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 04:46:17 PM »
Hi Lexi,

The push rod did not change with the 1956 head redesign as far as I can tell. There is no reference in the parts book or any supplement. The later 1956 head was designed to lower compression due to complaints about pinging. This was noted in a Cadillac round table booklet. Your friend may have push rods from a 55 or late 57 rods. Those were different according to the parts book. 
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline vwfras

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 05:13:23 PM »
Alot of good info on this forum thanks. I think I have the right push rods and the car ran fine with the exception of the coolant pressurising leading me to change the head gaskets. It was which end is the top and bottom on the rods I was wanting to double check due to the way other jobs had been done to the car in its 60 years.

Offline Lexi

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 06:01:06 PM »
That makes sense Lou, as John and I were not sure what the previous rebuilder had put in his engine, other than they were not correct. Clay/Lexi

Offline cadman56

• Cadill-Ikes Chapter Member
  • Great balls of fire, Maybelline coming through
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 03:06:50 PM »
I ran a set of late 56 early 57 lifters and matching push rods on my last 56 rebuild.  The late lifters have the push rod seat higher in the lifter bote hence the need for shorter push rods.
The engine ran quiet and would push me over 100 every time I asked.  Sorry, had to add that.  Still suffering from jet lag.
Larry
Larry Blanchard CLC#5820
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac convertible
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance