Author Topic: Q: Does my '56 differential have a vent??  (Read 469 times)

Offline iCAD

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • The Canadian Priaries
Q: Does my '56 differential have a vent??
« on: September 05, 2017, 01:38:57 PM »
Suddenly my RH rear axle seal packed up, spoiling a brand new pair of shoes of course. I already have a pair of SKF 15039's on the way. Just want to check to be sure its not plugged while I have it up in the air, but I don't see any mention of it in the "Good Book". Thanks again!
At a gas station the other day, a guy asks me "what kinda gas mileage do you get with a big old car like that?". "Who cares?" I replied, "it's a Cadillac!!"

Offline Eldovert

Re: Q: Does my '56 differential have a vent??
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 07:06:25 PM »
Yes it does..the vent hole is located behind the tang that holds the brake line...right in the center-top of the differential housing.
Cheers,Pat

Offline iCAD

• The Canadian Priaries
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2017, 07:12:13 AM »
Thanks for that info, Pat!!! My new axle seals just showed up in the mail yesterday, so it looks like my Saturday is all planned out.
At a gas station the other day, a guy asks me "what kinda gas mileage do you get with a big old car like that?". "Who cares?" I replied, "it's a Cadillac!!"

Offline iCAD

• The Canadian Priaries
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 07:35:04 AM »
....except that when I pulled the axle out, loose ball bearings scattered all over my garage floor. 'Guess thats why the seal failed, huh?? New bearings here we come!

Offline stzomah

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 09:16:16 AM »
I just had my 56 rear rebuilt and the rebuilder closed the hole in the upper pumpkin and installed a more conventional vent at the brake line splitter.  It is not original but the rebuilder (who has been in business for 30 years) highly recommended the mod to ensure the axle gets properly vented.  His only recommendation was to potentially extend the hose higher.  I do not intend to run it through any deep puddles!  Here is a link to my blog on the CLC forum...

http://forums.cadillaclasalleclub.org/index.php?topic=146586.0
Wayne Elder
56 series 62 Coupe
Owned since 1975

Offline iCAD

• The Canadian Priaries
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 10:59:25 AM »
Thats a good idea too, Wayne. The reason I asked about the vent in the first place was because I did not see one at the more common brake line splitter block location. If I ever have to open up the pumpkin, thats a modification I'll certainly make at the same time. Originality is preferred, but I'm more concerned with "getting down the road" when push comes to shove. Good stuff.  KenO

Offline iCAD

• The Canadian Priaries
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 10:06:39 AM »
Now that I have the axle out and new seal installed, I'm waiting for my new bearings to arrive. I'm looking in the Good Book at the bottom of page 7-11 for a picture of the "Brake Mechanism at Front and Rear Wheels" and I'm somewhat confused. The diagram clearly indicates the "Primary" and "Secondary" shoes, but from what I can see, there clearly seems to be more friction material on the secondary (rear facing) shoe than the primary. Is this right?? The picture is showing the LH (drivers) side, correct?? Thanks in advance.  KenO

Offline cadman56

• Cadill-Ikes Chapter Member
  • Great balls of fire, Maybelline coming through
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 02:54:54 PM »
Yes, the rear shoe is always longer than the front one.
Larry Blanchard CLC#5820
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac convertible
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance

Offline South_paw

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 06:07:51 PM »
I was taught when doing brake shoes, the big girl rides in the back. Never forgot it  ;D
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline iCAD

• The Canadian Priaries
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 08:53:10 PM »
Aw yes....that brings back fond memories. Thanks alot, I won't forget that either.  KenO