Author Topic: Simple brake shoe question  (Read 160 times)

Offline iCAD

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • The Canadian Priaries
Simple brake shoe question
« on: September 15, 2017, 10:08:42 AM »
Now that I have the axle out and new seal installed, I'm waiting for my new bearings to arrive. I'm looking in the Good Book at the bottom of page 7-11 for a picture of the "Brake Mechanism at Front and Rear Wheels" and I'm somewhat confused. The diagram clearly indicates the "Primary" and "Secondary" shoes, but from what I can see, there clearly seems to be more friction material on the secondary (rear facing) shoe than the primary. Is this right?? The picture is showing the LH (drivers) side, correct?? Thanks in advance.  KenO
At a gas station the other day, a guy asks me "what kinda gas mileage do you get with a big old car like that?". "Who cares?" I replied, "it's a Cadillac!!"

Offline Clewisiii

• Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
Re: Simple brake shoe question
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 10:11:08 AM »
Maybe Primary means initial contact point.  Like slowing down instead of stopping.
Secondary means Oh $%#& I have to stop.  So more meat on the locking up the wheels shoe.

Just a thought based on no real knowledge.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline 61Armin

• nearby Nürnberg, Germany
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 11:07:04 AM »
there clearly seems to be more friction material on the secondary (rear facing) shoe than the primary. Is this right??

Yes that is right  ;)

Offline iCAD

• The Canadian Priaries
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 12:16:42 PM »
Thank you, gentlemen.
At a gas station the other day, a guy asks me "what kinda gas mileage do you get with a big old car like that?". "Who cares?" I replied, "it's a Cadillac!!"