Author Topic: Want to know how to install those parts...  (Read 538 times)

Offline Ramses

Want to know how to install those parts...
« on: September 24, 2017, 09:05:16 PM »
Hi all!

Today, i have received many part from "rubber the right way" but i need help with the hood insulation pad..

as you can see on the picture, one side is black, one side is light and dark gray, so i need to know on witch side i should install that?

does the black side should face the engine or the hood?

Thanks for your help!
You can not count the time spent on a car, because it's a therapy!

To see my actual project: www.cadillac1962.com

Offline Ramses

Re: Want to know how to install those parts...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 09:09:18 PM »
One more question, i received another part but i dont figure out where to install that.. i have look inside my fenders but the hole in the rubber dosent fit anywhere! Maybe someone can show me a picture of those part installed, so i can figure out where it goes?

Offline MoreRacing

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2017, 12:15:20 AM »
By the way...maybe a picture out there showing were this part goes attached in the front fender???

Offline FINCADI

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2017, 12:40:21 AM »
Ramses,
On both my 1963 and 1961 Cadillacs that were re-painted at different body shops years apart, the body shops installed the hood insulation smooth side out. I always thought it went the other way and when I questioned the body shop guy that did my 63' he did not even hesitate when he said, no it is suppose to be smooth side out so that the barrier keeps the loose insulation from falling/separating and getting sucked into the engine.  I never said anything to the body shop guy that re-painted my 1961 a couple of years ago, but he also placed the smooth side out.  I have no idea which way is correct as I have seen both ways on cars at Grand Nationals. I do know that when I took my 61 in for repaint (all original unmolested car) that the hood insulation was   fuzzy side toward engine. Just an observation, that may prove the fuzzy side should go toward the engine. if that is the case both of my cars reproduction insulation was installed incorrectly. I will be curious to see what others post on this topic as I too have always wondered if it was done correctly on both of my cars. Note: the first photo is of my 1963 Cadillac with the new insulation installed smooth side out. The second photo is of my 1961 prior to going to the paint shop which looks to me like the original insulation was fuzzy side out.

Offline StevenTuck

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • 1962 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz | Tampa, Florida
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2017, 04:23:23 AM »
Back in the day, the hood insulation didn't have a smooth/hard side. Both sides were fluffy. Today SEM makes the insulation with a smooth/hard side for ease of installation. I spoke with SEM directly about this. So the smooth/hard side attaches to the hood with the fluffy side toward the engine.
Steven M. Tuck CLC#16507
1962 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
http://bit.ly/1NfPNHE
Car Show Signs and Car Photo Books
http://carshowsigns.net/

Offline StevenTuck

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2017, 04:27:22 AM »
By the way...maybe a picture out there showing were this part goes attached in the front fender???
This splash shield is secured with staples and installed behind the eyebrows of each front fender. You will notice how the contour of the rubber fits the eyebrow during installation.
Steven M. Tuck CLC#16507

Offline StevenTuck

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2017, 04:37:21 AM »
One more question, i received another part but i dont figure out where to install that.. i have look inside my fenders but the hole in the rubber dosent fit anywhere! Maybe someone can show me a picture of those part installed, so i can figure out where it goes?
As I recall these attach between the inner splash shield and the headlight housing mounting plate.
Steven M. Tuck CLC#16507

Offline Ramses

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 11:21:08 AM »
Back in the day, the hood insulation didn't have a smooth/hard side. Both sides were fluffy. Today SEM makes the insulation with a smooth/hard side for ease of installation. I spoke with SEM directly about this. So the smooth/hard side attaches to the hood with the fluffy side toward the engine.

Thanks a lot for the answer, so now i know how to install it! :)

Offline Ramses

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 11:36:34 AM »
As I recall these attach between the inner splash shield and the headlight housing mounting plate.

Thats what i was thinking too, but it dosent fit there.. the hole in the rubber dosent fit the hole in the mounting plate..

I have attached two picture to show you...

Offline FINCADI

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 08:28:07 PM »

Yikes! Now every time the hood is open on my car I am going to cringe knowing that the hood insulation was installed backwards. So much for the so called experts at the body shop. :-\    I guess I could take it off and replace with new but what a mess that would be and a waste of perfectly fine insulation. (Hmmm....possibly the smooth/hard side material would peel off with a little finesse to expose the fluffy part?)  Not sure that I am willing to try either of those options just yet.