Author Topic: 1956 Series 62 Coupe restoration, engine, transmission question  (Read 2817 times)

Offline JAG56Cad

Re: 1956 Series 62 Coupe restoration, engine, transmission question
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2016, 01:19:21 PM »
Harald,

Hmm just from the pictures it does no look that bad, just normal wear..!  ;)

Before you start the complex job, have the machine shop check the heads beforehand. The 56 were prone to cracked heads around the two inside chambers. Also, make sure there is enough meat on them exhaust ports left to get a new seals in place, again the two inside chambers maybe a bit thinner to cut to deep.

I believe Johnny Washburn had his done, he may chime in with more details.
Jose Gomez
CLC Member #23082

Offline harascho

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2016, 01:56:36 AM »
some pics of the internals

Offline harascho

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2016, 01:58:25 AM »
and some more

Offline Eldovert

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2016, 10:38:35 AM »
Herald,
That top ring looks like it shattered. That is from pre-ignition (low octain gas,spark timing) or someone trying to start the car with liquid ether.
You are doing some fine work there..keep it up!
Cheers,Pat

Online Roger Zimmermann

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2016, 11:31:13 AM »
Is there just one piston with that damaged ring? Second question: the dirty valve is associated with that piston?

Offline harascho

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2016, 02:20:17 AM »
There is only one piston with a shattered top ring.
Almost all the intake valves look more or less like the one in the pic... a big black "tar" buildup...

I guess I will have the crank cut, order rod and main bearings in +.010 and have the block honed and order new pistons with +.020.
First I thought I might be able to save the pistons and buy only one, but there is the need of new piston rings and that doesn't work without the right surface on the cylinder walls -> a good hone. Honing needs at least a little bit of material and then the original pistons might end beeing to small in diameter?  That's my thinking here.... any other ideas / opinions?

cheers

Harald

Online Roger Zimmermann

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2016, 10:45:45 AM »
Harald, this is a decision the machine shop has to do. Buying one piston is no good: it will not have the same weight as the other 7.

Offline harascho

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2016, 01:03:53 PM »
While waiting for engine parts I started on the trunk floor
 or should I say floors...'caused by the several layers of sheetmetal patchwork..

Harald

Offline South_paw

« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2016, 05:17:04 PM »
They all rust in the same spots  :o
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline harascho

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2017, 12:43:08 PM »
Hi folks I need some help regarding the 4 rearmost body to frame mounts.

As I have the frame ready and the  body in primer by now I need to get an idea how those rearmost 4 bodymounts look like. Two are in the rear crossmember into or through that bent U-channel on the body. Question is are those bolts going trough the U channel and into the trunk ( = visible in the trunk) or just trough the U channel and between the channel and the trunk floor is the bolt ??

Also interesting are the next two bodymounts in the trunk going into the curved outer frame rails. How do the nuts look like? There's a window in the frame rail to get access but I have no idea how those nuts & bolts look ' cause access with any kind of tool is almost impossible..

I attach a few pics along the way.... I begin to have a slight grin on my face when I see the wheelbarrow  with all the cut out rusted panels..;-)

cheers

Harald