Author Topic: Alternator conversion  (Read 1116 times)

Offline bluecat64

Alternator conversion
« on: December 30, 2017, 10:33:09 AM »
Looking for a suitable alternator for the generator to alternator conversion for my Coupe de Ville 1962. I live in the Netherlands so I am not able to walk in a carparts store and ask for a " 1983 Olds Delta 88 with the 305 alternator " like I found in this forum. I need a brand name and a type number so I can order (overseas) at an Internet carparts supplier. To me it is important that the mounting holes fit with the flipped mounting bracket. Appreciated!

Offline rare eldorado

Re: Alternator conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 12:52:52 PM »
Hello Bluecat64  If you will call original parts group Cadillac they will have the alt/ that you need .Just tell them what amp you  would like and chrome or natural finish they can ship it to you direct .To call dial your international access code and then there no# 1 562  594 1000 weekdays 7:30 to 5:00  Saturdays 10:00 to 3:00 pt  or California time .This will save you a lot pf trouble with middle man supplyers .

Offline kkarrer

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 10:43:55 PM »
You can also get a PowerGen on-line which is an alternator inside of a GM style generator body.  This retains an authentic look, but also bolts right in with no alterations to your brackets.  I've used them on my 41, several 55's and a 56 that I've restored.
Ken Karrer
CenTex Reg. Dir.

Offline bluecat64

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 04:24:25 AM »
Thank you Rare Eldorado and KKarrer for your help.
Your solutions are the "expensive" $450 Cadillac Alternator, PowerGen Long Housing With Light Terminal.
This is a direct bolt on solution, very nice, but also a steep price. I mean the price is OK for what they offer (looks authentical) but I have to pay import taxes, transportation so I will end up around $600
I was looking for a solution similar to the AC Delco 321-266 / 7294-3 alternator suggestion that I found on this forum. I don't mind the looks, but I like a price $100.
When I look at the images of those alternators I can see it is not a 100% direct fit and still I don't have good information how to do the conversion with those type of alternators.
So anyone who succeeded, I would love to see some photo's of your conversion.
If I don't get the information I need , I might have to order the expensive one like you both suggested.

Offline rare eldorado

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 10:11:47 AM »
Hello Bluecat64  Is there a shop in your area that rebuilds alt and starters other than a parts house?  I have a 62 Eldorado,, I had the generator changed over too 65 amps and a voltage regulator to match .It was the original gen/ with the cooling intake hose that attaches to the rear of the gen .In this way it has the original look with high amps . In the summer with the air running at night i have had no problems with that conversion .This would be another alternative rather than trying to change brackets and making things fit. You will have higher amps and an original look .Some shops can build higher amps if you want that type of output. No car will ever use more than 65 amps at one time unless there is a bad battery or electrical system problem or the battery is to small for the car.The gen/or alt only replaces what is used in the battery ...it is not supposed to run the car,

Offline Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 10:59:25 AM »
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline Dan LeBlanc

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 11:20:52 AM »
Your original post said you were going to order at an internet car parts supplier . . .

http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/oldsmobile,1983,delta+88,5.0l+307cid+v8,1214840,electrical,alternator+/+generator,2412

If you're not ordering from them, at least all the part numbers you were looking for are there.
1970 deVille Convertible
1977 Continental Town Car

Offline bluecat64

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 01:05:24 PM »
Thank you Rare Eldorado. I have to give some more info where my "search for a solution" comes from. Approx. 3000 miles ago the car workshop who services my car, bolted on a new Generator and a Voltage regulator. The Generator is similar to the original, and the voltage regulator is the old style 3 relay unit, but without the little adjustment screws. So a renewed unit based on the original technology. Right from the beginning I had this problem, when I stop the engine by key, the GEN tell-tale comes on and a high current starts to run from the battery through the Regulator and the Generator. I have my battery clamp untightened so I have to rush out of the car and pull the battery clamp. Than you see serious sparks between the clamp and the battery pole indicating the high unwanted current. The Generator heats up because of that current. When I hammer on the Voltage regulator enclosure, the situation gets solved. I assume a relay gets stuck and releases when hammering on the regulator enclosure with a hammer. This problem was fixed by adding an additional ground wire, but now, it is back. I think I know why.
I had a pretty high idle speed, but with my new carburator the idle speed went down. It's perfectly running a real nice low speed but the GEN tell-tale light comes on at this low idle speed. The generator is not capable of providing enough Volts. This happens only when the choke is not active.
 It looks like the relay sticking problem happens when the motor is at a real low idle speed. When I press the gas pedal, running the motor at higher speed and immediate turn off the engine it appears that it doesn't has this sticking relay problem. This is so annoying that I rather want to have a more modern solution than sticking to this old technology where I face returning problems. The generator still works but I thing it isn't 100% anymore because of those high currents during shutdown (when the voltage regulator relay sticks). Unless I know why the relay gets stuck and how to solve it, I think any option for the old style generator is not a good solution. I have read a lot of articles about this same situation in all kinds of old USA cars. Overhere in the Netherlands there isn't good knowledge about old Cadillacs and how to fix this problem other than buying new components. Most workshops don't even want to accept old USA cars...

Offline bluecat64

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 01:17:27 PM »
Thank you Dan Leblanc. Very goog prices. A good option to order one from them so I won't loose a lot of money if the conversion, for some reason, will fail.

Offline eugene

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2018, 09:32:58 AM »
Look on line for a one wire gm alt  I cant remember where I got mine maybe Rock Auto but inexpensive and easy hookup