Author Topic: Carmen Update  (Read 325 times)

Offline 62 Coupe

Carmen Update
« on: July 16, 2017, 10:01:08 PM »
Well, we're about half way through summer up here and what a busy summer it's been. Just an update to say I haven't croaked or anything just up to my eyeballs. As for Carmen, we've had a great time so far. I started out by changing the timing chain as the old one from Falcon Global didn't get along with the stiffer valve springs. I got one from Cloyes and so far so good. I went to the Touring Tin Rod Run in Banff with a whole family and a friend of Meg's who was visiting from Arkansas. That was a lot of fun and later in the week I drove Meg and her friend down to Cranbrook BC in Carmen and dropped them off to go for a vacation with thr friends Grandma and cousins etc. in Hayden Lake by Coeur d'Alene. Round trip 800km and two mountain ranges. Carmen ran great averaging 20.5 MPG. Next up was a Show and Shine in Strathmore East of here. I really enjoy going out to the small towns. Keeps me in touch with my roots and real folk. Went to several Cruise Nights in Town and one medium sized show supporting Prostate Cancer.

The Calgary Stampede and Rodeo just finished up but went to a barbeque Friday evening at High Wood Rod and Custom. The really big show was yeaterday at the 1st Alliance Church here in town. It's on par with the turnout for Super Run but features all makes, models and years. The crazy thing is, the last award was for Best of Show and me and Carmen won it! You could have knocked me over with a feather. Won some pretty cool prizes valued at a total of $750. I'm still a little bit shocked by it all. I built my car to drive hard and far.

Here's some photos from along the way.
He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill

Offline Cattle Axe

Re: Carmen Update
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 10:07:37 PM »
very cool. but have you put it back on the dyno yet?
1961 Series 62 Convertible
1962 Coupe Deville

"I got my self a cadillac but I can't afford the gasoline" (AC/DC down payment blues)

Offline 62 Coupe

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2017, 10:22:22 PM »
I haven't yet but I might I will definitely do that before the end of summer. I have a pretty decent tune in it now but know the top end of the power/rpm range could use a little improvement. I have all my honey do things cleared off the deck and am starting on the replacement rear control arm project tomorrow. The urethane bushings came in on Friday and it's time to get after that. Then I want to do some bucket seats for Carmen if I can before Super Run which is August 4,5 and 6th.
He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill

Offline 62 driver

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 03:11:27 AM »
Sounds like a great summer so far! Enjoy the weather. Dave

Offline Perk2

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2017, 07:53:47 AM »
She gets my vote for sure!
Enjoy the rest of your summer!
"Get busy living, or get busy dying!"

Offline Peter.1961

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Long Beach, CA 🌴
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 09:43:19 AM »
Dan, thank you for sharing! I really enjoy your write ups and the projects you tackle - is like the stories in Hot Rod but in real life :)

I'm glad you found a show where they recognize the engineering feats and great workmanship.

Also very exciting that you actually take Carmen out on the road for longer trips. I recently ran up to Santa Cruz for a weekend (900 mile round-trip) --- so much fun to do the long cruises in the caddy.

I understand you are meeting up with Steve and Leah this summer - and I'm as bit jealous, I hope I'll get to see Carmen in the flesh one of these days.
“If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough” -- Mario Andretti

Offline 62 Coupe

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 12:33:15 PM »
Thanks Peter. I share your pleasure in taking long trips with our old Cadillac's.  There is something proper about heading out in a car that puts you a little more in touch with motorings past as opposed to the present day feeling of cars as just being a conveyance. When our cars were built, a road trip was still an adventure and I like going back to those days as I cruise along enjoying the countryside.

I am looking forward to meeting Steve and his wife. The only member of this forum I have ever met is Troy aka Vanchopski and that was a fluke.

Offline 62droptop

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • 62 series 62 droptop southern ontario canada
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2017, 09:38:01 PM »
congrats Dan on the awesome award,totally deserve it
anyone can build a car out of a catalogue,but you have truly did it all yourself!

I too love the way you actually use it
too many old cars get redone just to go for a weekly trip to the local ice cream joint

I just got back from one hell of an 7000km adventure in my 86 motorhome,, found some bugs that need to be worked out before I point the thing west and step on the gas and stop when I hit some hills in the old thing,  hopefully next year!
1962 Cadillac series 62 ragtop

driven like it is stolen
broken because it was driven(still)

Offline 62 Coupe

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 10:30:00 PM »
Sure hope you make it out this way next year. Would be great to meet you and the family in person.