Author Topic: Pot metal repair  (Read 222 times)

Offline RobertM

Pot metal repair
« on: March 26, 2018, 12:54:05 PM »
Has anyone used Muggy weld's Super Alloy 1 to repair potmetal parts?  I need to attach some steel screws to the backside of a few of my Fleetwood louvers. Several bolts broke off due to the nuts being rusted on. I've never done this type of repair, but this video makes it look simple. I wonder what could go wrong lol. 

« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 12:59:24 PM by RobertM »
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'99 Eldorado

Offline Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
Re: Pot metal repair
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 02:12:21 PM »
I have been looking at that for a while. I like it but most of the chrome shops I talk to ask me to not try to repair anything before I bring it to them. But if it is a repair you are not rechtomimg I would do it.

Heat control seems to be the big issue. You have to time it right using the color of their flux.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline JAG56Cad

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 05:41:34 PM »
Robert,

I did play around with Muggy alloy with variable results. As Clay stated you have to be very careful with the heat around pot metal, although the alloy melts below the pot metal it is a marginal heat range between both.  :(

My better or at least good results were with other type of metals brass, etc. which have a greater melting point than you can get with a propane or MAP torch.

I had use regular epoxy JB Weld on the studs for the lower rear panel trims at least the ones with a good chrome. If I ever need to re-chrome those in the future I would probably be losing them in the process.
Jose Gomez
CLC Member #23082

Offline RobertM

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 09:25:49 PM »
I do need to get these re-chromed, so I guess I'll take them to the plater first and see what they recommend. JB Weld is a decent option for these pieces.
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'99 Eldorado