Author Topic: Carl's 61 Fleetwood  (Read 23636 times)

Offline Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
Carl's 61 Fleetwood
« on: November 18, 2015, 09:09:09 PM »
I finally learned how to hammer the sheetmetal to get rid of the oil canning in the roof.  I was able to clean it up and sand it down to 1000 grit.  I figure i can hit it with a red pad to rough up before painting.

For the rest I have run out of money for a little while.  I hope to get the bushing and steering components as soon as I can.  I contacted Coil Spring Specialties but they never responded to my request for info on the springs.

I found the shop I will take my Trans to.  The guys were great and very easy to talk to about it.  They even pulled out a photo of a rose colored 61 that they had done last year.  For fun I sandblasted and painted the trans.  I know it will get beat up during rebuilding but I could not resist.  I will touch it up in the end.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline 62droptop

• 62 series 62 droptop southern ontario canada
Re: Carl's 61 Fleetwood
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 10:26:31 PM »
glad you got the roof figured out,it is a big panel to have flex on you

1962 Cadillac series 62 ragtop

driven like it is stolen
broken because it was driven(still)

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 07:56:26 PM »
I have decided to use my time to try to take care of some tedious details. I have decided to take care of body work priming and sanding of the fire wall. With few flat surfaces and sections of overlaped steel it is a pain.

Can anyone give me pointers on seam sealer. I think the factory felt the stuff was free considering how much they goobed on. How thick should it be. How else should the joint be.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline 62droptop

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 10:43:47 PM »
are you going for originality,or make it clean and tidy

if cleaning it up, I use proform(or any other brand I'm sure) brush on seam sealer
it comes in a quart or so sized  can
you can brush it on however you like
once it is close to curing,a rag with soaked lacquer thinner can be used to give it a smooth seam like you do with silicone around your bath tub or kitchen sink with your finger

I love the stuff, it hides a ton of sins and generally cleans up the looks of things and easy to use

driven like it is stolen

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 07:53:55 AM »
I am going for clean and tidy. I just do not know what the clean seams should actually look like. 1/16 thick 1/8 thick. 1/4 wide 3/4 wide. Stuff like that.
Charles Kettering

Offline 62droptop

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 09:39:01 PM »
I just go until the seam is sealed up plus a little extra for safety  and call it a day

driven like it is stolen

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 09:35:07 AM »
Wow. I just scared the he'll out of myself.

I needed to lower my car on the rotisserie, to get a better height to work on the firewall. Since I first set it up I have never changed the height of the car.

The rotissserie has a built in Jack on either end that lifts the mast.  I lifted one side a bit and pulled the large set pin. I started to releave pressure on the Jack and nothing. It did not go down. I tapped the mast with a hammer about a minute. Then boom. It instantly slid down a foot and a half all at once.

That was not what I intended to do. Scared the crap out of me.
Charles Kettering

Offline Sixfins

• Harrisburg , Pennsylvania.
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 11:03:28 AM »
Being scared is ok, as long as no one hurt or car damage. I took the neck if the 22 lb turkey, stuffed it between my legs and chased my wife all around the house. Her hands have stuffing on them and i chade her . Svards the shit out of her. Holliday tradition around here.

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 11:09:38 AM »
So how do you follow that up Christmas.

Maybe I don't want to know.
Charles Kettering

Offline Sixfins

• Harrisburg , Pennsylvania.
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2015, 11:24:43 AM »
You dont wanna know, your right. Lets just say some Jack Daniels and thos Xmas balls hanging on the door ring up a storm!