Author Topic: Carl's 61 Fleetwood  (Read 20532 times)

Offline 62droptop

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • 62 series 62 droptop southern ontario canada
Re: Carl's 61 Fleetwood
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2015, 07:03:15 PM »
You dont wanna know, your right. Lets just say some Jack Daniels and thos Xmas balls hanging on the door ring up a storm!

poor Jan!

she deserves a medal and a saint hood award!
1962 Cadillac series 62 ragtop

driven like it is stolen
broken because it was driven(still)

Offline 62droptop

• 62 series 62 droptop southern ontario canada
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2015, 07:05:06 PM »
Wow. I just scared the he'll out of myself.

I needed to lower my car on the rotisserie, to get a better height to work on the firewall. Since I first set it up I have never changed the height of the car.

The rotissserie has a built in Jack on either end that lifts the mast.  I lifted one side a bit and pulled the large set pin. I started to releave pressure on the Jack and nothing. It did not go down. I tapped the mast with a hammer about a minute. Then boom. It instantly slid down a foot and a half all at once.

That was not what I intended to do. Scared the crap out of me.

I bet there was a underwear change involved also

I hate when things like that happen
like Art says, as long as no one got hurt
damaged ,while really sucks, can be repaired
1962 Cadillac series 62 ragtop

driven like it is stolen
broken because it was driven(still)

Offline Clewisiii

• Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 07:44:53 PM »
Well my heads are really messed up. Covered in rust in top of cylinder, intake side, exhaust side, and water galley.  Exhaust side is actually flaking rust. But that can be cleaned up when I post it.

I am most worried about the tips of the cylinders. The valves are actually rusted shut. I assume the machine shop can recondition this area of the heads if I pay them enough. I do not want to mess up the valve seats so I do not want to mess with this area.

This is what it looked like after a little cleaning with a scotch brite. Al machine surfaces will need to be decked by the machine shop.
Carl Crittenden

"Endeavor to retain the Spirit of Youth"

Offline Dan LeBlanc

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2015, 08:32:27 PM »
Usually these engines can take a good deep boring. 0.060" is not impossible so any rust pitting in the cylinder walls should bore out. 

As far as the heads go, they are not hard to disassemble. Once the valve spring is compressed,  the keepers pop right out. Get the springs out of the way and squirt a little trans fluid and acetone around the stems and let soak. They'll free up.

New guides, valves, and a decking and you'll be back in business.

I saved a 390 once that was parked in a field with the hood open from and no air cleaner from 1988 to 2005. These engines can take a lot and be brought back.
1970 deVille Convertible
1953 Series 62 Sedan
1953 Fleetwood 60S

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2015, 01:01:54 PM »
So at 7:30 this morning here in Michigan it was 25F. And I was in my front yard in gun shorts sandblasting I don't think you want to see pictures of that but here are the engine parts that I cleaned up and painted.

I blasted and cleaned the lower transmission covers but forgot to put them on the table. I guess they will wait till the engine gets rebuilt.
Carl Crittenden

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 02:13:46 PM »
I went ahead and Sandblasted the water gallery's and more crusty parts of the heads. Since everything will be machined and it is cast iron I am not to concerned. A large cloud of rust was blasted out.
Carl Crittenden

Offline Sixfins

• Harrisburg , Pennsylvania.
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 02:55:27 PM »
Jesus clew your a brave man

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2015, 03:04:11 PM »
When I looked into it the machine shop does it themselves as one of the cleaning steps. I don't want to pay them hourly rate for something I can do myself.

I am going to give them a bath in detergent then a dip in metal rescuer rust desolver to get anywhere I could not. Then a spray down with hour for storage till it gets to the machine shop.
Carl Crittenden

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 12:48:38 PM »
I managed to remove the valves from one of the cylinder heads. My valve spring compresser is a little to big. I had to close the screw all the way in to work. That made it somewhat unstable as I tried to remove the keepers.

I had to hammer out 4 of the valves. I do not think I will remove the valve guides. I will leave that for the machine shop.

Getting past all the clean up in the engine I feel a little better. The oil pan was very silvery when I dropped it. I was worried there was as lot of engine wear. However the crank and cam looked good. The cylinder walls looked good except for the surface rust. No evidence of walls scored. I assume that was all bearing wear I saw. 
Carl Crittenden

Offline Dan LeBlanc

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 12:53:57 PM »
The silvery in the oil pan is likely water in the oil.  From what I've seen of your car, it's been stored in a relatively damp environment judging by the condition of the chrome plating.  What you've found in your oil pan isn't surprising.
1970 deVille Convertible
1953 Series 62 Sedan
1953 Fleetwood 60S