Author Topic: New Exhaust  (Read 3216 times)

Offline stzomah

Re: New Exhaust
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2017, 02:32:21 PM »
I was at the show Saturday.  If a car was being judged and started.  I would cut across the row and even go back to cars I saw a 1/2 hr ago to hear them run and see the engine idle.  I too believe a Cadillac "should be seen and not heard"!  There were some very nice idling and silent running cars.  Now if we talk smell...  they all smell like my 56, rich gasoline.  Tough to reduce that!  We are spoiled with new car ignition controls!

I must confess that in 1977, I put dual Thrush glass packs on my 56 coupe.  Ok now...I was in high school!  Man it sounded great with 9ft of tailpipe after the mufflers!  I used to roll up to a stop sign and drop it in low to hear it "backdown" and snarl!  It was all good till one night, I grabbed the shifter and pulled it all the way down to the right...  yes, put it into R.  I exploded the Hydramatic.  Good thing there were still old school tranny guys out there that rebuilt it for me!  A few years later i put a CS system on it and i just replaced it with a 304 SS system 2 years ago!  Tastes certainly change!
Wayne Elder
56 series 62 Coupe
Owned since 1975

Offline South_paw

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2017, 08:16:27 PM »
I guess I like a quiet burble at idle is my favorite, but I do like to hear it talk when accelerating then no sound while cruising. 
Lou, how hard was your exhaust to install?  I need to replace my system as the bottoms of all pipes behind the muffler on the left side are rotted out.
Thanks,  Larry

The install went smooth. Just make sure your car is jacked up high enough so the rear suspension is fully relaxed.. This will give you full clearance. 

Offline Caddy Daddy 55

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2017, 08:24:33 AM »
Lou did you order all the clamps and hangers from Waldrons? I'm thinking of ordering a complete system and install this winter.

Regards,
Bob K
Bob K
Keep Cruzin
1955 Fleetwood aka Annie

Offline South_paw

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2017, 08:17:40 PM »
Clamps yes, hangers no. The hangers I had were fine

Offline kkarrer

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2017, 09:26:56 PM »
Lou,
     I installed Rick's on his 59 this July and it went very well.  The biggest problem I had with the other guys (CE) was that their mufflers and resonators had nothing in them and the flange connection at the manifold had "ears" which tend to interfere with tightening the bolts/nuts once you have the flex pipe installed over the forward aspect of the exhaust pipes...something a number of restorers forget to put in place.  Great seeing you all at GN by the way.  Wish we'd had more time to get together, but prepping the 59 and judging really got in the way of fun this time.  Hope to see you soon!
Ken Karrer
CenTex CLC Reg. Dir.

Offline novetti

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2017, 12:07:53 AM »
Lou,
     I installed Rick's on his 59 this July and it went very well.  The biggest problem I had with the other guys (CE) was that their mufflers and resonators had nothing in them and the flange connection at the manifold had "ears" which tend to interfere with tightening the bolts/nuts once you have the flex pipe installed over the forward aspect of the exhaust pipes...something a number of restorers forget to put in place.  Great seeing you all at GN by the way.  Wish we'd had more time to get together, but prepping the 59 and judging really got in the way of fun this time.  Hope to see you soon!
Ken Karrer
CenTex CLC Reg. Dir.

Is the flex pipe for insulation purposes? I thought the first section of muffler pipe was flexible from the EX manifold to the muffler (to fit in the tight space around this area), then hard pipe to the rear.
I need to replace the exhaust in two cars (both 54's), and I was planning to fabricate that first section in Flexible SS pipe, followed by Steel aluminized from the muffler to the rear.

Offline kkarrer

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2017, 08:23:04 PM »
On all of the installations/restorations that I've done (about 5 or 6 55-56's) I've fitted the flex pipe over the hard pipe and it essentially insulates from the heat and provides a little sound deadening.  I've never seen an installation where the flex pipe was "stand alone" from the manifold to the first fitting.
Ken Karrer
CenTex CLC Reg. Dir.

Offline Caddy Daddy 55

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2017, 10:18:34 AM »
Just ordered my new exhaust from Waldrons what a pleasant phone conversation with Ruth. Had to provide engine number because pipes were different during the 55 Fleetwood year.? About 8-10 week led time. Lou did you drill holes in the bottom of the resonators if so where?
 I have a question about the flex covering on the exhaust pipes is it on both sides where do you get it and how does it attach?

Thanks,
Bob Kielar
Bob K
Keep Cruzin
1955 Fleetwood aka Annie

Offline South_paw

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2017, 08:29:38 AM »
Bob,

I drilled a small hole at the lowest most point of the resonators. The flex pipe fits tightly over the exhaust pipe on each side. When I did my car 8 plus years ago, JC Whitney had it in stainless.

Offline Caddy Daddy 55

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2017, 09:14:30 AM »
Thanks Lou J.C. Whitney no longer carries the flex pipe. Can you tell me the diameter flex  pipe you ordered? The exhaust pipe from the manifold is 2" correct?
Thanks,
Bob K
Bob K
Keep Cruzin
1955 Fleetwood aka Annie