Author Topic: 1955 hood springs  (Read 419 times)

Offline walt c

1955 hood springs
« on: July 04, 2017, 09:45:16 AM »
Hi guys!
  I've driven my 1955 CDV for 17-18 yes now and the hood has always failed to stay up by itself. (I installed a hold open rod...junkyard special which has served me well!) Anyway, fast forward to the present and I am considering purchasing new hood springs. (was browsing Ebay and saw a vendor selling them) Question: has any fellow CLC members purchased new springs and how are they "holding up"? (my springs fail to hold the hood up and yes I have tried the various adjustment positions that GM has on the lower end of the spring position)....just wondering....walt...tulsa,ok

Offline johnregrus

Re: 1955 hood springs
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2017, 01:34:34 PM »
I just cut off one loop from the spring and re attached. Worked great. 

Offline Eldorado Mike

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 05:57:33 PM »
Hi Walt, I just bought a couple of pairs of the new 1955 springs on eBay.

I Installed a set on a 55 Convertible I have and the hood sprang to life.....with hood up the new spring forced the hood right to and held against the stops on the hinges.

I would love to see and hear how John cut a loop off and re-attached the spring.............I'm guessing a torch was involved.

Mike B in Ct

Offline walt c

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 04:11:56 PM »
Mike,
  Trust me, there couldn't have been a torch involved. The only way I see to increase tension on the spring would be to install washers (with a slot cut for installation) inside the spring on the top hook end). May I ask who the Ebay seller was who you bought from? As most of us know, replacement parts very seldom duplicate factory quality.....walt...tulsa,ok

Offline Eldorado Mike

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 04:44:44 PM »
Hi Walt,

John above said he cutoff a loop and then reattached.

The cutoff part is easy......I just wondered how you could bend a coil to reattach....yikes!

Here is a link to the seller on eBay I purchased my set of springs....my auction was without reserve so I was able to get them for less.....they're still worth every penny at this price if you have a real saggy hood.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1955-CADILLAC-HOOD-SPRINGS-PAIR-SPRING-BRAND-NEW-HIGH-QUALITY-NEW-PAIR-CADDY-55-/172753062051?hash=item2838e288a3:g:SOMAAOSw8d5ZU91Y

Mike

Offline kkarrer

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2017, 09:36:14 PM »
Let me mention this as I just did it for a friend... If you look underneath where the spring attaches to the body, there are three possible positions to attach the spring to.  I made a tool (basically a piece of chain connected to a rod) and pulled the spring down and into the next step on the attachment and the hood is now staying up.  That being said, if you still have problems, just get a new pair of springs.  Some of the ones being offered are stainless and I probably wouldn't go for those.  If you're bringing the car to GN, I'll do it for you in the parking lot.
Ken Karrer  CenTex CLC Reg. Dir.