Author Topic: Oil pan  (Read 329 times)

Offline pinkcloud

Oil pan
« on: August 01, 2017, 04:09:59 PM »
Hello anyone have tips on how to remove the 2 front nuts on a 62 390 oil pan ? I got all the other ones off just can't get to these ones at all . On another note I also had oil droplets coming out of the breather tube when it was running, any ideas on what this could be ?

Offline 62 Coupe

Re: Oil pan
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 07:19:12 PM »
A swivel socket set is a handy thing. I used one to get at the front bolts. To get clearance to drop the pan I removed the pitman arm from the steering box and gained enough room. If you dont have  puĺer capable of seperating the arm from the steering out put shaft, the manual says to remove the drag lknk idler arm. The pan has to clear the windage tray to come off cleanly. The manual describes how to rotate the crank so that the front counter weights are up and out of the way.

Good luck.
He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill

Offline pinkcloud

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 12:26:45 AM »
I tried the swivel already but I guess I wasn't trying hard enough 😐 I'll have to give it another go

Offline russ austin

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 06:42:28 AM »
I take the idler arm down, and rotate the tires to the side where the pitman arm is to the left.
63 series 62 4 window sedan, 63 Superior Hearse
62 Fleetwood

Tucson, AZ  USA

Offline 62 Coupe

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 11:23:11 AM »
Reply, just to be clear, I am talking about a swivel with the socket built in which is much shorter than a universal swivel with a socked added to it.

The drips from the breather tube are probably normal if they aren't excessive. By breather tube, I expect you are talking about the road draft tube that exits low down by the bottom of the pan? The breather cap is also another source of the occasional drip, specially when the engine has been run hard. I do give my car "the berries" from time to time and find that the ankle section of an old sock slipped over the breather tube is a good way to absorb those drips.
He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill