Author Topic: New rear control arms  (Read 2706 times)

Offline Peter.1961

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Long Beach, CA 🌴
Re: New rear control arms
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2017, 05:51:39 PM »
After a full week of testing my car, I am convinced that these new control arms are the next best thing since sliced bread.

No complaints, just improvements I'm all aspects of the car. Braking, handling, acceleration, cruising.   The back of the car sat up just a bit higher, leveling off the car. The Cadillac float and sag of the rear end is gone. A true pleasure to drive.

Get these through Dan.

Quick question: if the rear sits higher than stock couldn't you just shorten the spring support platform by 1/2" or so to get stock ride height? It seems it wouldn't affect the other benefits at all?

I can't wait to get my hands on a pair of these :)
“If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough” -- Mario Andretti

Offline 62 Coupe

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 07:19:37 PM »
I don't believe that the new trailing arms raise the height of the car above stock ride height. The aftermarket bushings seem to have softer rubber in them than the original bushings. See the distortion of the replacement bushing in the photo below. That's a 2 year old bushing. Mind you, it was better than the old original bushing but not by much.

By 1965, Cadillac moved the coil spring from the trailing arm to the diff housing which solved the problem of loading the weight of the car through the trailing arm bushings.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill

Offline Peter.1961

• Long Beach, CA 🌴
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2017, 05:03:08 PM »
Wow .... Interesting. I don't think my old ones looked that far off.

Out of curiosity, where did you buy those old aftermarket bushings? Mine came from rare parts, and I have seen much cheaper ones on rockauto and eBay.
“If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough” -- Mario Andretti

Offline 62 Coupe

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2017, 05:42:04 PM »
Peter, I think mine came from OPG.
He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill

Offline russ austin

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2017, 08:04:04 PM »
The bushings are all sourced from one manufacturer. Guess what, it is an oversea's manufacturer. Junk is junk, and this is what we are having to do in order to get our cars back in tip top shape.
63 series 62 4 window sedan, 63 Superior Hearse
62 Fleetwood

Tucson, AZ  USA

Offline russ austin

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 05:13:56 PM »
I finally got a full load of passengers in the ol car today.  4 men in the car, and the car drove fantastic. the rear did not sag down, and over bumps, the rear did not do the traditional bob up and down.
63 series 62 4 window sedan, 63 Superior Hearse
62 Fleetwood

Tucson, AZ  USA

Offline 62 Coupe

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 08:14:38 PM »
Awesome! I fully load my trunk a couple of times a year going to shows that are mini vacations with the family. That's Barb, myself and two teenage daughters. The upcoming show in Radium this September is a real test. We rent a place that has a full kitchen etc. so besides all the girl stuff there is a couple of coolers of food. Max load for sure. The difference when doing the long winding decent into Radium is a night and day contrast with the better rear bushings.

I'm glad to hear the urethane bushings are working out as expected.

Offline Peter.1961

• Long Beach, CA 🌴
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2017, 05:15:14 AM »
I am very much looking forward to that!

My caddy does get its share of exercise (say five adults of my stature (call it 1000 lbs total) or the occasional trip to the hardware store when stuff is too big for our wagon. 30 cu ft of planting soil, a dozen 4x8 sheets of plywood ... You name it :-))

Offline 62 Coupe

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2017, 12:31:31 PM »
I ordered the plates that make up the spring perches today plus the small plates that the emergency brake cable attaches to. They will be water jetted out of 10 gauge steel which is .1345", a little thicker than the prototype perches but I will make them slightly smaller as the water jet gives much more flexibility in design as manufacturing is not labor intensive and allows for greater creativity. I will still have to make the tubes themselves and cut and machine the bushing sleeves as their price is still too high for the small initial batch. I will be staying with .188" wall tubing just for the extra safety factor. It may be overkill but as all of the stress and load calculators I have tried tell me .125" is enough, I still want to err on the side of caution. A couple of pounds per set is not worth the worry.

Delivery time on the water jetted parts is 2 weeks so I expect I should be able to get some completed sets out the door in 3 weeks for those who have expressed an interest here and privately. Also of note, I am currently making a set without spring perches for one of the modified forum members. He will be grafting air bag perches on to the bare trailing arms.

I will keep you posted.

Offline themotherbrain

« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2017, 02:44:21 PM »
Yeah Dan if you do a set of airbag ones I'd consider it too. I think these would suit my need. All you have to do is weld up a round plate (not near the car to measure how big the plates on mine are) in the spot where the perch would go normally. Drill a hole through the center and through the arm so you can bolt the bag in from the bottom. Easy as pie. It's nice of you offer these up.
-I am the liquor.