Author Topic: New rear control arms  (Read 2687 times)

Offline russ austin

Re: New rear control arms
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2017, 06:53:03 AM »
Have a set made up for me please. I have a car in mind that they will be going on.
63 series 62 4 window sedan, 63 Superior Hearse
62 Fleetwood

Tucson, AZ  USA

Offline 62 Coupe

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2017, 11:40:59 AM »
Russ, sounds good.
He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill

Offline 62 Coupe

« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2017, 03:44:25 PM »
I have started making all of the bits that are not being done at the machine shop. So far I have found a good method for making the spring pad indexing/locating ring and am currently making the bushing outer sleeves that get welded in to the control arm tubes. It's a bit tedious but I just can't afford the machine shop rates for something I can do myself. So far I have 20 sleeves faced to length so that covers the 5 sets that are spoken for but while I am set up, I'll do 20 more to make a total of 40 for 10 control arm sets I have coming from the machine shop. After I face the 40 sleeves I need to put them all back in again and machine the inner chamfer.

I'm using the steady rest because my lathe is so small the chuck jaws aren't big enough to support the sleeves safely. The double wall shipping boxes have been ordered as have all the remaining spring perch parts and control arm tubes.

The urethane bushing arrived for the first 10 sets and I am hoping to have everything else sometime next week.

There is a US Postal Service outpost here in town that can handle all of the brokerage and shipping for guys in the US. With the made to order boxes, the packaging size has been reduced which means the rate to Arizona is now $32. I have a quote to New York for $36. This gives you some idea of what shipping fees will be.

To those on the order list, thanks for your patience.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 03:48:15 PM by 62 Coupe »
He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill

Offline Peter.1961

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Long Beach, CA 🌴
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2017, 08:14:56 AM »
That's great progress -- thank you for the update, Dan!
“If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough” -- Mario Andretti

Offline AutoCad

« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2017, 10:08:25 AM »
Yeah!, Nice work, Dan!
Been there and back, in my Cadillac...

Offline 62 Coupe

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2017, 04:56:28 PM »
Thanks guys. The machine shop called today letting me know the parts were ready so I took the shop truck over and picked them up. Three hundred pounds behind the axle barely made the old gal squat. I will continue making the small bits then should get on to welding some up later next week.

Offline Ramses

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2017, 05:07:15 PM »
I like the red color of your car! Witch red is it?
You can not count the time spent on a car, because it's a therapy!

To see my actual project: www.cadillac1962.com

Offline 62 Coupe

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2017, 05:12:40 PM »
Thanks Ramses. It is PPG Chevrolet Victory Red. The colour never looks right when the car is near the florescent lights in the garage. Here is a photo that shows the true colour.

I checked out your web site and really like all the cars and bikes you have restored. You have been a busy boy! C'est bon!

Offline Ramses

« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2017, 05:22:49 PM »
i'm actually painting my car with "viper red" (red from dodge viper) the problem with many bright red paint is that it look ORANGE under certain light condition, so its hard to take good picture to show the right color...

Your red is awesome too! :)
You can not count the time spent on a car, because it's a therapy!

To see my actual project: www.cadillac1962.com

Offline 62 Coupe

« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2017, 12:58:01 PM »
I finished the sleeves for ten sets of trailing arms this morning. I forgot what a busy day I have scheduled for today and tomorrow. I need to go up to meet my daughter at her college this afternoon and buy her books and supplies then over to pick up the boxes for the trailing arms and another length of 2 x 3" for making the perch risers. Tomorrow afternoon it's off to get a hair cut and appear at a good friends post wedding dinner. On top of all that I want to give Carmen a good look over before heading out to Radium on Friday. I have put a ton of miles on her this year and don't want to neglect anything before her last longish trip this year. I may not get any sets welded up this week but will certainly be in position to begin next Monday.