Author Topic: Painting door panels  (Read 198 times)

Offline eugene

Painting door panels
« on: January 21, 2018, 09:00:38 AM »
I would like to change my door panels color turquios to red also the headliner/ Anyone have luck with this.

Offline rare eldorado

Re: Painting door panels
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 11:30:03 AM »
Hello Eugene  Too redo your door panels  remove from car ,,remove all trim and hardware  wash with soap and water.. when dry wash off with lacquer thinner until completely clean .Spray with vynal and leather dye .Do not buy from a parts house or Walmart ..purchase it from an auto body supply store for the best quality. It is best to use a hvlp gun about 20 psi at the tip or spray instructions  on the can .Ditzler was gms  supply  for paint    As for your headliner REPLACE IT dying a headliner will not last and cannot be done correctly in the car and will soon crack and peel ,,also it cannot be cleaned properly with out damaging it and getting overspray on the rest of the interior .This is providing that your car does not have cloth panels  and headliner .Purchase you headliner first then match dye for door panels.

Offline eugene

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 11:41:42 AM »
I've heard sem has good products .Do you have to primer the panels. I will check if Ditzler sells vinyl paint

Offline kkarrer

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 02:30:18 PM »
The SEM products are great, but you can't always get the exact color that you want so you may have to get your local automotive paint store supplier to do a custom mix. of a ppg , ditzler,  other product.  I've had very good results with doing the clean up that was previously suggested, but I'd substitute some paint prep spray and wipe down for the lacquer thinner and I use a gray scotch brite to scrub things down in order to give better adhesion.  Also...and don't skip this step... get some of the spray on adhesion promoter and use it just before you paint.  You need to spray on a light coat and let it set up for about 30min. at 50 plus degrees.  When you paint, use 2-3 light coats (don't pile it on!) with about 5 min. of wait/flash off time in between coats.  It will be dry to the touch in 30 min.  With door panels, I'd give them a day to really set up before handling installing them because you usually have to beat on the damn things to get them back into place.  Also, once you've given the panels a little time to set up, that's a good time to look for dust nibs, bugs etc.  To get rid of them you can just run your hand or a clean rag back and forth over them and they'll usually "ball up" and just rub off.  I just finished painting the dash, some trim, and my convertible boot and I really liked the way the stuff went down.  By the way, I just used a touch up gun (cheap Harbor Freight hplv at 30 psi) for my job as I wanted to avoid excessively heavy coats.
Ken Karrer
CenTex Reg. Dir.

Offline eugene

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 03:39:37 PM »
did you use sem or ppg

Offline kkarrer

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 07:02:49 PM »
I used Deltron, but PPG is fine as well, just be sure to get their prep spray and follow those directions on the can.
Ken