Author Topic: Chrome shop reccomendations  (Read 303 times)

Offline RobertM

Chrome shop reccomendations
« on: February 06, 2018, 03:25:55 PM »
Looking for a recommendation of a chrome shop on the US east coast.

Has anyone had the chrome done on their car recently? Can you give me an estimate of what it will cost to do? My 54 is supposed to go in for bodywork and paint soon, but the quote I was given for chrome is holding me up from starting. Double what I was expecting.

The chrome on my car currently is just tired.  No dents, worn out in places.  Minor surface rust on the underneath of the rear bumper.  The stainless is in great shape. 
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'99 Eldorado

Online South_paw

Re: Chrome shop reccomendations
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 05:39:06 PM »
Bob,

If you have good core parts free of heavy pitting and rusted out sections, without question go to Sandy's bumpers in Syracuse NY. You will get quality plating that will last a long time. Prices are fare. PM sent
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Online novetti

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 01:38:54 AM »
From the photos above your chrome looks great. Photos can be deceiving but I wouldn't touch it.

Would try a definitive cleaning and polishing to see what happens before calling the platters.

Offline rare eldorado

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 11:04:59 AM »
What city are you located in ? To rechrome your bumpers for a good job will be at least 800 to 1000 dollars each as they are not 1 piece . stainless can be polished . you can do this yourself as it will be off the car if the body shop is going to paint your car correctly ,mothers polish is very good for stainless can be purchased at any parts house that sells polishes,That is if there are no deep scratches or dents,Get prices from a few platers as prices vary by location .

Offline 62caddyguy

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 11:52:06 AM »
Hey Bob
              I recommend Bar plating 203-630-1046 ask for Bruce here in Meriden, Connecticut. Just had all my chrome done for my 62 Cadillac and he was fair.

Bob you know me. Gary, from Oxford,CT with the 54 Caddy coupe de ville. Are you still in Connecticut?

Gary

Offline RobertM

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 11:59:38 AM »
Hi Gary! Yes still in Seymour.  The car is in North Carolina at the moment about to get painted. Chrome is coming off in a week or two.  The guy got an estimate from a place in Missouri...$16-18k! I have a couple leads now but will also give Bar Plating a call.

That estimate was to do all the trim etc. I don't think I need that. Bumpers, door handles, headlight bezels, maybe a couple other things.  I'll polish the stainless myself.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 12:03:08 PM by RobertM »
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'99 Eldorado

Offline kkarrer

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 08:10:10 PM »
Due to proximity, I'd recommend Chris in Erie,PA.  Advanced Chrome Tel (814) 899-1233, but I also have a good guy down here in Houston, Mujid at Atlas, but Superior is ok too and then of course there's also Paul's which is in Ohio I think.  Chris has done 5 or 6 55-56 Eldos for me, but Mujud is who I send the easy stuff like the bumpers that you described.
Ken Karrer
CenTex Reg. Dir.

Online Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 08:14:53 PM »
Paulís is a fortune I gave them a list of parts from my car with pictures. The quote was $50,000. They said expect $5,000 per headlight.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Online novetti

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 09:49:00 PM »
Paulís is a fortune I gave them a list of parts from my car with pictures. The quote was $50,000. They said expect $5,000 per headlight.

5K per headlight rim???
 :o :o

IT would be almost cheaper to play with last wax brass casting, polish, send to a conventional platter who does bathroom taps to flash plate it. It would never rust.

In fact when I have spare time in my hands I will play with that...

Offline RobertM

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2018, 09:53:04 PM »
I have a couple good leads, both in my neck of the woods.  I'll let you know what happens.
Bob Melms
'54 60S
'99 Eldorado