Author Topic: transmission problem  (Read 371 times)

Offline jrowangp

transmission problem
« on: February 07, 2018, 09:54:01 PM »
I have a 62 that stayes in high gear, you can shift it manually through the gears, also the reverse does not work unless you shut the car off and startit in reverse i have the neutal safety  switch crossed i figure it might be the governor where is it located any help would be appeciated John

Offline Chris_Oz

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Hunter Valley, NSW, Australia
Re: transmission problem
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 10:07:09 PM »
Hi John,

No reverse can be the Gov, but the other issue usually caused by a blocked or dead Gov is no up-shifts, it will stay in 1st or second only.
Do you have a service manual?
There is a good section on fault finding, it gives a table of issues that you cross reference to causes, works very well.

The Gov is under the rear extension housing, you need to remove the tail shaft, cross member and mount, speedo drive cable drive and shift linkage.

Put a jack and a block of timber under the pan, remove the shaft and mounts, speedo drive cable and drive and shift linkage, lower the trans so you access the bolts.

The extension housing slides off to the rear, the gov is driven by the output shaft.

It is normally the oil supply to the gov, it is fed through galleries in the body of the trans, when these block up with clutch material, the problems start.
Current Cadillac's
1962 Park Avenue Sedan deVille
1962 6 Window Sedan deVille
1962 Coupe deVille

Offline 62droptop

• 62 series 62 droptop southern ontario canada
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 08:48:57 PM »
good stuff Chris
if I remember correctly,there is also a filter  screen in the oil passage to the governor
1962 Cadillac series 62 ragtop

driven like it is stolen
broken because it was driven(still)

Offline Chris_Oz

• Hunter Valley, NSW, Australia
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 04:57:04 PM »
good stuff Chris
if I remember correctly,there is also a filter  screen in the oil passage to the governor

Yes, there is a small, barrel shaped screen, not shown in parts book, but it is in the service manual, mine was blocked and was causing the no upshift issue.

Now I have  TH700r, no problems like that exist.
Current Cadillac's
1962 Park Avenue Sedan deVille
1962 6 Window Sedan deVille
1962 Coupe deVille