Author Topic: Hi, new to '61-'62 Cadillacs and new to the site  (Read 5856 times)

Offline Cad-Grabber

Re: Hi, new to '61-'62 Cadillacs and new to the site
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2015, 11:03:05 AM »
Welcome Scott,

I was happy when you decided to give the behemoth a second chance in its automobile life!

Thanks, man. Letting this car die is just not an option for me. I know it will test my sanity, but it will be worth it in the end! I hope ;) lol

Beautiful car. Even though Maize is as controversial here as it was back then :) I like it. Please share a picture of the body plate with us.
Hahaha! Didn't know that Maize Yellow was such a divisive color. I happen to love it, it is quite close to the color of my Road Runner...Plymouth called it "Sunfire Yellow". I attached a pic of the Cadillac's cowl tag. The car has bucket seats, air conditioning and cruise control, too. No Guidematic headlamps, though. It's almost exactly how I would order one if I was visiting the Cadillac dealer in 1962!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 11:07:17 AM by Cad-Grabber »

Offline 62-squared

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Cruising with "Flo" in Cincinnati, O...
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2015, 12:30:57 PM »
Hi Scott -

Welcome aboard!  It may be a lot of work but worth it if you enjoy the pursuit itself.  Certainly the end result will be worth it!

Maize may be divisive but I vote heavily for it.  62 was the first year Cadillac offered "triple maize".  You could finish yours up that way with only changing the top color when you put a new one on.  Having the buckets is a rarity anyway, and I've never seen it in a triple maize car.  I had a 67 Olds 88 cvt in about that color, with black top & interior.

Here's what your cowl tag is telling you:

STYLE 62-6267 - A 1962 Series 62 convertible (67)
BODY FW12905 - Yours is the 12,905th Series 62 convertible body built for the 1962 model year by the Fleetwood plant (FW), down the street from the Clark Ave. Cadillac assembly plant in Detroit
05A - Your car was built in the 1st week (A) of May (05) 1962
TRIM 24B - Gold leather (24) with bucket seats (B)
PAINT 45 - Maize
TOP 1 - White
ACC EK - Factory accessories are Easy-Eye glass (E), Air conditioning (K)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 12:49:19 PM by 62-squared »
-- Keith

"It's the car I always wanted, and now I have it.  I RULE!"   -- Kevin Spacey, American Beauty

Offline themotherbrain

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2015, 05:03:01 PM »
Hi scott. I'm rob. I'm just outside of albany ny. I can relate to rust buckets as I've spent quite a few years taking my project from the grave to its former glory. I see you posted about finding a front clip. I happen to need a passenger side fender so if that it a worthy buy maybe we can go in on it. I do actually have a good repairable spare driver fender (and trunklid but it's rough) in my parts pile though. Still needs a little love but nowhere near what you got going on there.
-I am the liquor.

Offline Cad-Grabber

« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2015, 05:32:51 PM »
Hi Scott -

Welcome aboard!  It may be a lot of work but worth it if you enjoy the pursuit itself.  Certainly the end result will be worth it!

Maize may be divisive but I vote heavily for it.  62 was the first year Cadillac offered "triple maize".  You could finish yours up that way with only changing the top color when you put a new one on.  Having the buckets is a rarity anyway, and I've never seen it in a triple maize car.  I had a 67 Olds 88 cvt in about that color, with black top & interior.

Here's what your cowl tag is telling you:

STYLE 62-6267 - A 1962 Series 62 convertible (67)
BODY FW12905 - Yours is the 12,905th Series 62 convertible body built for the 1962 model year by the Fleetwood plant (FW), down the street from the Clark Ave. Cadillac assembly plant in Detroit
05A - Your car was built in the 1st week (A) of May (05) 1962
TRIM 24B - Gold leather (24) with bucket seats (B)
PAINT 45 - Maize
TOP 1 - White
ACC EK - Factory accessories are Easy-Eye glass (E), Air conditioning (K)

I think I'm going to go back to either the original white, or perhaps a black top. Black tops hide dirt and weathering so much better than white. As for the journey, I don't have the financial choice to buy one done, so rescuing a derelict is my only option. I do have some friends with cutting tools and a lift and a welder ;) I had them "on board" before swinging the trade for the old girl.

Thanks for the tag decoding! I wasn't sure of the build date or what the body number meant...I did read up on the interior codes before I bought it so I knew that the B suffix on the trim code meant bucket seats, at least.

Offline Cad-Grabber

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2015, 09:20:01 AM »
Hi scott. I'm rob. I'm just outside of albany ny. I can relate to rust buckets as I've spent quite a few years taking my project from the grave to its former glory. I see you posted about finding a front clip. I happen to need a passenger side fender so if that it a worthy buy maybe we can go in on it. I do actually have a good repairable spare driver fender (and trunklid but it's rough) in my parts pile though. Still needs a little love but nowhere near what you got going on there.

Hi Rob. I've located a front clip but I have to get over to the yard to check it out in person. My hope was to swap it over in its entirety if it appears clean and solid enough. However, depending upon condition of the right fender, I may keep my original (which needs work on the bottom, as is common with these models I am finding). The same car may yield a trunklid and some other parts, so I will have to check it out in person. I'll keep you posted for sure.