Author Topic: G'day from Australia  (Read 2132 times)

Offline cad_in_oz

G'day from Australia
« on: November 18, 2015, 10:30:53 AM »
It's really good to have the forum back! I was relatively new to it when it crashed and burned and it might have been all of the searches that I did that contributed...  :)

A little background. I kinda ended up with a '61 hardtop Sedan de ville by accident which needed a bit of work to make it drivable and reliable. Well it's been a ton of fun working on this car and the early sixties technology never ceases to amaze me. I had to replace most of the suspension bushings etc. and I found a good original carb which made a big difference. I had a bunch of vapour lock problems last year along with some 'running on' probably due to the extremely hot weather in our summer which I sorted by the addition of an electric Carter fuel pump and now only use the highest octane fuel I can find.

I replaced the carpets and while I had the seats out I repaired the power seats which work perfectly now. Just last week I replaced all of the rubber seals including the window glass channels, all belt-lines etc. It turned out to be a bigger job than I thought but it was job worth doing.

Down at this side of the world it can be a bit difficult, especially with the distance problem, not too mention an unfavourable exchange rate when we are buying parts from the US so that makes forums like this priceless when it comes to sourcing information from the 'been there done that' guys :)

Regards, Mick

Offline Sixfins

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Harrisburg , Pennsylvania.
Re: G'day from Australia
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2015, 10:39:31 AM »
Yes , the internet brings the knowledge right into your garage.  Welcome aboard.

Offline 62-squared

• Cruising with "Flo" in Cincinnati, O...
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 12:09:00 PM »
Welcome back Mick!
-- Keith

"It's the car I always wanted, and now I have it.  I RULE!"   -- Kevin Spacey, American Beauty

Offline 62droptop

• 62 series 62 droptop southern ontario canada
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 05:41:42 PM »
welcome Mick
it is amazing how many technical gadgets they 61-62 caddies had

people cant believe my car has power vent windows,rear heater ducts under the floor for rear passegers,auto dimming headlights and more,waaaaay back in 1962
1962 Cadillac series 62 ragtop

driven like it is stolen
broken because it was driven(still)

Offline Sixfins

• Harrisburg , Pennsylvania.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 05:47:21 PM »
Hey, i was actually back there in 62!!

Offline 62droptop

• 62 series 62 droptop southern ontario canada
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 10:23:57 PM »
yeah but you probably didn't need the heater, more likely the rear window defogger!
1962 Cadillac series 62 ragtop

driven like it is stolen
broken because it was driven(still)

Offline cad_in_oz

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 12:45:08 AM »
yeah but you probably didn't need the heater, more likely the rear window defogger!

;D  ;D

Offline cad_in_oz

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 12:56:14 AM »
Thanks for the welcome :) If you ever find yourself in the 'wilds' of North Queensland get in touch and we might even go for a spin in a LHD vehicle but driving on our side of the road...

Actually here is something trivial I've always wondered about. Do you ever see RHD vehicles in the USA and Canada and what is the law in regard to that? You may or may not know that where I come from, as long as the vehicle is at least 30 years old and of roadworthy standard and registered we can drive 'em the way they made 'em.

Offline Clewisiii

• Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 07:03:29 AM »
I do not know what the law is.  And it would be different per state.  But I have seen RHD on the roads in Michigan
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline Dan LeBlanc

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 07:33:07 AM »
RHD cars are allowed here in Canada for the most part also.
1977 Fleetwood Brougham - 3x black with Astro Roof
1977 Continental Town Car