Author Topic: Carburetor rebuild help  (Read 108 times)

Offline RFD Firefighter

Carburetor rebuild help
« on: October 08, 2019, 05:52:52 PM »
My carburetor is in need of a rebuild. I've had next to no luck finding a place here that rebuilds them anymore. (Surprising because I live in Rochester, NY where the Rochester Carburetor was built). So far I have only found 1 place that would rebuild it. The conditions were I have to bring the car to him and not just the carburetor. He said he has to take it off the engine and will put it back on after the rebuild and tune it. He also said it was going to run me around $750. That seems quite a bit high to me. I've been looking at youtube videos and I do have a book on rebuilding them, but I'm honestly a little intimidated to try this. Has anyone else here rebuilt their own carb and how difficult was it to accomplish?
I saw Maybellene in a Coup DeVille
A Cadillac a-rollin' on the open road

Offline Johnny62

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Sacramento, Ca.
Re: Carburetor rebuild help
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2019, 09:57:25 PM »
I was a little intimidated at first, but after watching YouTube videos over and over before starting project I felt prepared. Mine is a carter afb( I guess they're easier). I had mine “professionally rebuilt” but it still never ran right. I ended up doing it myself and now it runs great and you’ll feel a sense of pride and accomplishment! You can order a rebuild kit from Mikes Carburetors

Here’s a few links I used

Offline Dan O.

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 11:05:24 AM »
Not so long ago, rebuilding carbs went hand in hand w/old car ownership, so don't be scared of a little ol' carburetor. Rebuilding is pretty easy if you take your time and follow procedure. The YouTube videos can be helpful but I've taken on my share of rebuilds armed with nothing more than a vintage MoTor manual or the factory shop manual. Provided you don't lose parts or mess up any adjustments the biggest obstacle will be warpage or worn out parts; sometimes an especially worn out carb can't be whipped back into shape.

Offline carguyblack

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 03:09:36 PM »
Sometimes there is warpage in those old housings so that may be an issue as a "do it yourself-er". The other thing would be if someone "Frankensteined" it over the years by combining several different years together. Those are a few things that happened to my carbs on our 1956 Cadillac. If you want a really nicely restored carb that literally looks brand new when you get it back, I used Jeff Driebus at The Old Carb Doctor and have always been very pleased and would highly recommend. Save your pennies because it's not cheap, though.
Chuck

Offline RFD Firefighter

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 05:03:38 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement guys. Let me give a little background on my carb-phobia. When I took auto shop in High school we had a bunch of brand new carbs donated to the class by Rochester Products. (one of the benefits of living in the city where they were produced) When I took mine apart the pieces went all over the place. The teacher lost his mind on me, and there was born my apprehension with taking this little job on. Its been close to 37 years now, I guess I should get over it! lol

I am very greatful for this site. I was a member of the old one and its a shame we lost all the information and step by step walk through instructions we had over there.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 05:06:33 PM by RFD Firefighter »
A Cadillac a-rollin' on the open road

Offline 62 driver

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 10:56:44 PM »
I rebuilt 3 carter carburetors in the past month. Is your a carter? Dave

Offline RFD Firefighter

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 11:06:31 PM »
No, Rochester 4 jet