Author Topic: Carl's 61 Fleetwood  (Read 39542 times)

Offline Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
Re: Carl's 61 Fleetwood
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2016, 02:13:12 PM »
I tried stitching my floor pan holes closed. No good. As I closed up one upon grinding it smooth it opened five others. So I guess I will be using my patch panel after all.

That is a scary hole though.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2016, 03:08:13 PM »
Well clean up the fit and it will be welded in place. I still do not like the profile.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline 62droptop

• 62 series 62 droptop southern ontario canada
« Reply #52 on: March 25, 2016, 10:37:52 PM »
Well clean up the fit and it will be welded in place. I still do not like the profile.

just be careful welding that piece in
it looks to be galvanized and welding that will produce some serious poisonous gasses
you will see little white floaty things in the air,that is the coating burning off
don't breathe the crap

grind all areas where you will be welding  completely
are you using mig gas of fluxcore wire?
if using flux core,make sure you have the heat cranked up high as you can without burning through
I hate welding flux core
mig gas makes a much nicer weld

in welding up holes,get yourself a block of copper to hold behind the hole and weld away
the weld will not stick to the copper and makes a nice heat sink so you don't burn through
I have welded up to around  2'' holes using this method
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 10:39:59 PM by 62droptop »
1962 Cadillac series 62 ragtop

driven like it is stolen
broken because it was driven(still)

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2016, 06:04:33 AM »
Yes I cleaned everything.  I flattened out a piece of copper pipe.  Holding it in place with magnets.

But I must say weld through primer is a joke.  It cost $20 a can but did not work at all.  I tried it on the structure support that would be hidden after the weld.  None of those plug welds had any penetration.  At least it made it easy to pop back up and clean off.
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2016, 10:57:42 AM »
OK first it was a mistake only getting the two foot gas bottle. That will be gone just from the floor pan.

Second. I need to improve my welding clothing. A few splatters went through my coat and rolled down my arm. A couple of balls landed along side my feet in my shoes.
Charles Kettering

Offline South_paw

« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2016, 11:05:13 AM »
OK first it was a mistake only getting the two foot gas bottle. That will be gone just from the floor pan.

That bottle should last a good while. What do you have it set at? And are you shutting the valve after each use? I find that helps a lot.
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2016, 11:20:43 AM »
Yes I am shutting it off. The bottle started at 1500. It is now 900. I run it at 15. The guy I bought the bottle from said it should last 3 hours of straight welding.
Charles Kettering

Offline 62droptop

• 62 series 62 droptop southern ontario canada
« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2016, 02:22:53 PM »
Yes I am shutting it off. The bottle started at 1500. It is now 900. I run it at 15. The guy I bought the bottle from said it should last 3 hours of straight welding.

I have the taller bottle as a main and a 2 ft as a backup

I have done a lot of welding on the 2 ft bottle
sounds like your machine may have a gas leak
I have had a regulator leak right out the back before,was hard to find and I was wondering why I was so hard on gas

I usually run my gas at 20-30,depends on if I am welding inside or outside and how new the metal is
I like to run my machine hot and keep the wire speed up
and I can weld faster resulting in less warp
I find it is better with old metal that may not be  00% clean,and run gas a little higher on dirty metal also
I also keep my air blow gun handy and cool it down right after I nail it with weld
little tricks I have learned in the couple million miles of wire I have welded

as for clothing, I just love getting a hot slag ball roll down your back and settle in the butt crack, really lets you know you are alive I tell you!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2016, 02:27:15 PM by 62droptop »
1962 Cadillac series 62 ragtop

driven like it is stolen
broken because it was driven(still)

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2016, 03:10:00 PM »
Last bits in prepping the suspension. Pressing out the control arm bushings. Through trial and error I figured out a process that works with my tools. Unfortunately that error part caused me to bend in the first A arm slightly. So I will have to figure out how to get it straight again.

I started purchasing the hardware to reinstall everything. But a few sizes are on order. And I still have not figured out my shocks yet. If not original I am at least looking for a modern hydraulic shocks.
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2016, 04:43:08 PM »
OK A arms stripped and straightend. I need to do a little sandblasting and paint and I can reassemble. Unfortunately it has decided to snow again in Michigan. I am told up to 3 inches. So I do not think I will do it this weekend.
Charles Kettering