Author Topic: Carl's 61 Fleetwood  (Read 37848 times)

Offline Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
Re: Carl's 61 Fleetwood
« Reply #200 on: December 12, 2016, 05:47:00 PM »
Leaving the parts car in the snow makes me feel like I am doing something wrong.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline 6Caddy2

« Reply #201 on: December 13, 2016, 01:55:44 PM »
Can't be help, its helping to save another one of its kind!! And that's a good thing! Think of it as cryo-freeze man!

Offline 62 Coupe

« Reply #202 on: December 15, 2016, 12:43:25 AM »
When my car was just an ugly bondo riddled driver, it spent winters outside too. Eight of them in fact. It didn't hurt the mechanicals and the body was already pretty toasted although this photo doesn't show all the warts. I wouldn't sweat a parts car spending a little more time outdoors.

Side note, Wayne mentioned once how much fun it would be to drive one of these Caddys at a sporting pace on some interesting gravel roads. I did that a few times in the foothills. It was a blast. Now that she is purdy, I take it easy on gravel.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill

Offline Perk2

« Reply #203 on: December 15, 2016, 09:46:00 AM »
WOW...Carmen sure has come a looooong ways!
A late bloomer ;-)
"Get busy living, or get busy dying!"

Offline 62droptop

• 62 series 62 droptop southern ontario canada
« Reply #204 on: December 17, 2016, 06:02:21 PM »

Side note, Wayne mentioned once how much fun it would be to drive one of these Caddys at a sporting pace on some interesting gravel roads. I did that a few times in the foothills. It was a blast. Now that she is purdy, I take it easy on gravel.

wouldn't it  have been a blast to drive Carmen looks as then but mechanical attitude it has now!
can you say yeee haw!
1962 Cadillac series 62 ragtop

driven like it is stolen
broken because it was driven(still)

Offline 62 Coupe

« Reply #205 on: December 17, 2016, 06:58:27 PM »
I should have put that clear 3M film on the body below the skeg line when the paint was fairly new.

I used to do PC support for an oil company and did the occasional service call to pipe line and gas plant locations. Some pretty remote. I would generally take it easy on the way in to make sure I actually arrived and get a chance to scope out the fun bits of the road. Once the job was done I'd let her fly on the way out. These are pretty capable back road cars except for the slow steering. A stock Caddy with faster steering and posi would make a great dirt road car.
He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #206 on: December 17, 2016, 07:18:55 PM »
I cannot wait to start doing visits to my customers in my Cadillac.  The funny thing is I mostly go to Ford in Dearborn and Chrysler in auburn hills.  I have not had a GM program in a few years.  I would love to pull up to the GM tech center in the Cadillac.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline 62 Coupe

« Reply #207 on: December 18, 2016, 01:13:33 AM »
People really like seeing these skegs out and about. Just plan on arriving early and leaving late as you will likely have an admiring crowd gathered around in no time! If you take a photo album of what you have done to resurrect your Caddy, plan on staying over night!

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #208 on: January 02, 2017, 11:40:59 AM »
For the year 2017 the goal is to get the car reassembled and ready for paint. 

Engine rebuild - down to two possible rebuilds
Trans rebuild - rebuilder selected
Body mounts - hardware restored need rubber
AC rebuild - I think I should have these components before paint
Chrome stainless- some parts need to be done and fitted before paint. 

That will leave small parts for 2018.  Maybe driving at the end of 2018. 
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #209 on: January 02, 2017, 12:31:02 PM »
Sorry. Forgot to mention interior.  That will take it to summer 2019.
Charles Kettering