Author Topic: Carl's 61 Fleetwood  (Read 39541 times)

Offline arch62

Re: Carl's 61 Fleetwood
« Reply #260 on: April 25, 2017, 02:46:35 PM »
Am sure the IRS is very impressed with them and is already looking under fender skirts and mattresses.

Offline Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
« Reply #261 on: April 25, 2017, 02:58:06 PM »
Well I know they had been there since 55 because all of the state Tax permits from 55 to today were posted on one wall.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #262 on: April 26, 2017, 06:42:49 AM »
I had an area that was oil canning last year.  I had to hammer the metal to stiffen it up. At the time I had one layer of body filler on the car when I hammered. Over the winter cracks from that hammering transfered through the top.  I tried to sand them all out yesterday.  I went until they were gone to the eye.  But with a layer of epoxy over it I can see them again.  I will just take this area down to bare metal and start over.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline CrimsonCad

« Reply #263 on: April 27, 2017, 06:06:56 PM »
Great work on your Fleetwood, Clewisiii! It's a slow process but worth it in the end!  :)

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #264 on: April 29, 2017, 11:56:31 AM »
I have another one.  My new daily driver is a Cadillac XTS.  Her name is Mrs. Stone.

Nearly the same color as my 61.
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #265 on: May 02, 2017, 11:50:23 AM »
To do my roof repair I used chemical first, then sanded to get back to metal.  I tried hammering the metal to get rid of the remaining oil canning.  I felt like I was just chasing a bubble. So I tried heat.  It work well but very quick. I had to be careful. It was going really well until one spot decided to bend in not out.  I hammered it back out then heated the perimeter around the bubble.  It worked very well. I applied one coat of epoxy last night. I may try another today.  I will restart the roof bodywork this weekend.
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #266 on: May 17, 2017, 01:07:32 PM »
I did it. I ordered my complete disc brake kit.  $1800. I probably could have saved some money piecing it from multiple sources. But now I can complain to one person if I have a problem.

It comes with the new style master booster. I do not know if I am going to use it. I still want to use the 62 master booster to keep it some what looking stock.

But it will be at least a year and a half till I am ready to install the booster.

Doing things a little out of sequence I think my next big purchase will be my leather.  I am buying enough to nearly do the car twice. A little insurance in case of problems or practice sewing.
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #267 on: May 24, 2017, 09:49:47 AM »
I picked up the foam today. I wanted enough to do the interior twice. Just in case. 

I think I may have over did it.  I had to put all of this in my XTS. It all fit though.
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #268 on: May 26, 2017, 04:24:02 PM »
The repair of the roof block sanding is going well. I do not have as many problem areas as the first time.

The only thing that bothers me are the roof support straps. The valley between the two straps bends down. It creates a point above each strap that the sanding block rocks on. I am not sure how many layers of primer it will take to overcome this.
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #269 on: May 27, 2017, 11:23:15 AM »
I use a dry powder guide coat. The spray on guide coat required to much dry time of it gummed up my paper.

I was impressed how the guide coat showed off the primer overlap lines.  I guess it really does its job.
Charles Kettering