Author Topic: Carl's 61 Fleetwood  (Read 40171 times)

Online Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
Re: Carl's 61 Fleetwood
« Reply #280 on: June 18, 2017, 10:19:42 AM »
I plan to tow a trailer. So I do not want drums.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Online Clewisiii

« Reply #281 on: June 19, 2017, 07:46:36 AM »
I think I have decided to avoid over restoring the engine bay.  I want to drive this car I do not want to be worried about it.
When I bead blasted the radiator core support the factory paint runs were the thickest areas.  I decided to not blast to remove all the runs.  So they are now still present on my finished core support.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Online Clewisiii

« Reply #282 on: July 14, 2017, 08:27:14 PM »
I know I am not revealing any mysteries here. But I was surprised how quickly naval jelly cleaned up the stainless.  Just a quick wipe on and off and it cleaned more then it did with metal polish and a tooth brush. 

I want to pick my best six wheel disc to restore.
Charles Kettering

Offline FINCADI

« Reply #283 on: July 14, 2017, 09:20:59 PM »
 ::)
I have another one.  My new daily driver is a Cadillac XTS.  Her name is Mrs. Stone.

Nearly the same color as my 61.

Carl,I traded in our 2013 XTS AWD on April 15th for a 2017 XT5 AWD. We loved the XTS but my wife wanted to go back to the SUV (Had a 2012 SRX before).  What really sucked is that before the 2017 was 3 weeks old (less than 250 miles on odometer) someone rear ended me at a stoplight and did $5000.00 in damages.  Thank goodness for a great body shop who got it looking good as new again. 
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 09:23:52 PM by FINCADI »

Online Clewisiii

« Reply #284 on: July 14, 2017, 09:40:27 PM »
I thought about the SRX.  But I have never been a fan of SUVs.   I secretly like not being able to do everything with my car.

With just a sedan people do not ask you to help them move.  And I am not taking anyone's dog anywhere.

However.  Till now all of my cars have been silver.  The sapphire blue XTS gets dirty way to fast.  I need to wash it again tomorrow.
Charles Kettering

Offline FINCADI

« Reply #285 on: July 14, 2017, 10:56:25 PM »
I thought about the SRX.  But I have never been a fan of SUVs.   I secretly like not being able to do everything with my car.

With just a sedan people do not ask you to help them move.  And I am not taking anyone's dog anywhere.

However.  Till now all of my cars have been silver.  The sapphire blue XTS gets dirty way to fast.  I need to wash it again tomorrow.
I like the sedans better as well, but since it is my wife's car she got to choose.  I personally would have selected the new CT6 as it is larger and I am 6'3" and I liked the ride.  At least she agreed to a different color as the last four were that bland tan/gold color that I believe was called Silver Coast Metallic (nothing silver about it).  I like the sapphire blue.  I had a 1998 Buick Park Avenue Ultra that was dark blue metallic that was a gorgeous car, but it did show all the dust and dirt real easy.

Offline 6Caddy2

« Reply #286 on: July 15, 2017, 08:06:40 AM »
Thanks for the tip on naval jelly clewisiii! I'm getting ready to clean up 5 hubcaps myself and use the best 4. I totally forgot about that product!! Thanks again!

Online Clewisiii

« Reply #287 on: July 18, 2017, 04:39:14 PM »
Here is my general cost chart.  I did not get that detailed.  There are many small $50 costs.

But it is looking like $40,000 so far and that does not include purchasing the car.  And I am doing many things myself.
Charles Kettering

Online Clewisiii

« Reply #288 on: July 18, 2017, 05:04:04 PM »
You know what I should do is pair off the costs chart with the vendors and hyperlinks to websites.
Charles Kettering

Offline Peter.1961

• Long Beach, CA 🌴
« Reply #289 on: July 19, 2017, 09:59:06 AM »
Carl, thank you for putting this out there. This looks pretty much in line with where I will come out when all is said and done (you have a number of jobs on here I haven't tackled yet)

I think I beat your numbers in some areas (eg I bought a freshly rescheduled rear bumper around $1.200 including the tail light surrounds) but spent more in others (eg the trans had to go to the shop several times to chase down a crack in the Taurus housing that only opened under load)

It is good to put this numbers out in the open to tell people what they are signing up for. It is my experience that many folks throw out lower numbers and so a newcomer may find themselves blindsided and feeling like a sticker when they see the bill. The truth is, quality parts for a Cadillac aren't cheap.
“If everything seems under control, you’re just not going fast enough” -- Mario Andretti