Author Topic: Carl's 61 Fleetwood  (Read 37692 times)

Offline Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
Re: Carl's 61 Fleetwood
« Reply #350 on: March 09, 2018, 09:21:27 PM »
Harbor Freight sale. I bought one for paint supplies and one full of sand paper and block sanders.

I am fortunate to have room. But what I have been lacking is closed storage.

My next shop expense is a large bolt bin.  I have way to many coffee cans and old plastic bins that can no longer be seen through.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #351 on: March 11, 2018, 05:46:10 PM »
So I am working through all of the random parts. I have a box for each door. I want to start going through them. I need to verify, clean, or replace all the fasteners.

I need to organize a coherent plan to get through this. I think I am going to make a schedule in excel and list my process steps.

Well to give you a picture to look at here is this. I am trying to polish the metal and I just realized one of the rear headlight fillers has a broken tab. I hope the parts car parts are good. I am still concerned about how I will clean and polish these. The undercuts seem impossible
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline cadsquatch

« Reply #352 on: May 25, 2018, 01:50:27 AM »
Keep up the hard work Carl!! You are giving me some needed inspiration to do work to my 61 Fleetwood.  I don't care what anyone else thinks, I would rather have a 4 door Fleetwood then a 2 door coupe any day of the week.
1961 Fleetwood 60 Special
1957 Fleetwood Series 75 Sedan
1947 Fleetwood 60 Special

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #353 on: May 25, 2018, 12:00:58 PM »
I am happy to inspire. And I have received far more inspiration myself seeing people working through the steps I will be reaching eventually

I have still never driven a classic Cadillac. At this point I kind of want my Fleetwood to be my first.
Charles Kettering

Offline cadsquatch

« Reply #354 on: May 26, 2018, 09:21:23 AM »
That's my main problem, I enjoy driving it to much for it to be down for the amount of time it needs to fix everything. Just doing a little here and there every winter so I can enjoy it all summer

Offline FINCADI

« Reply #355 on: May 26, 2018, 12:50:10 PM »
So I am working through all of the random parts. I have a box for each door. I want to start going through them. I need to verify, clean, or replace all the fasteners.

I need to organize a coherent plan to get through this. I think I am going to make a schedule in excel and list my process steps.

Well to give you a picture to look at here is this. I am trying to polish the metal and I just realized one of the rear headlight fillers has a broken tab. I hope the parts car parts are good. I am still concerned about how I will clean and polish these. The undercuts seem impossible

Carl,
I hope your parts car has the part that you need as well. My car was missing the (drivers side) little L-shaped attaching bracket for the filler panel that is shown just above your fingers in your photo. The guy that painted the car misplaced it and it was never found.  I looked for over a year on ebay and through this site to find a re-placement with no luck. A couple of weeks ago I thought why don't I just have my friend who owns a welding shop make me one.  He had it done a couple of days later and it only cost me $10 bucks. Why I didn't think of that solution earlier is beyond me.   Without that tiny bracket my car sounded like it was falling apart every time I hit a bump in the road. It took me a couple of months to narrow the screeching/metal on metal sound down to that filler panel. but now that it is secured by that bracket all is quiet. Hooray!

Offline cadsquatch

« Reply #356 on: July 11, 2018, 10:46:56 PM »
Looks like someone is parting out a whole 61 Fleetwood right now on eBay.  Need to win the Powerball!!

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=%221961+cadillac%22&_sop=10&_stpos=83501&_fosrp=1

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #357 on: July 13, 2018, 09:02:36 PM »
I bought some of the interior door parts.  Watching the window frames.  I should buy the door pulls.  I am missing one red lense from a door pull.  It would be nice if they came with the stainless screw covers.
Charles Kettering

Offline Perk2

« Reply #358 on: July 15, 2018, 08:58:08 PM »
I Made contact with the seller...no covers for the door pulls, no fleetwood mirror, no fleetwood/eldorado horn, no door lock ferrules...just in case anyone was wondering :-)
"Get busy living, or get busy dying!"

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #359 on: September 14, 2018, 08:17:16 PM »
It does not matter if something takes a long time. The time will pass whether you want it to or not.
Charles Kettering