Author Topic: Carl's 61 Fleetwood  (Read 40166 times)

Offline Clewisiii

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
Re: Carl's 61 Fleetwood
« Reply #360 on: December 04, 2018, 09:19:31 AM »
I have finally buttoned up most of my home prewinter projects. I have now been able to get back to my interior.

I finished stripping the front seat. I had some areas that rusted through where trim attached. I will sand blast and weld up.  I donít really want to use my sandblasted out in the snow. There is a shop I can have blast it for me. And if they do that it is real cheap to have them powder coat it.

I will need to clear the power seat mechanism.  If anyone has any pointers for that let me know. I will do a full write up with pictures when I do it.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #361 on: December 04, 2018, 09:24:52 AM »
Looking at the spring assembly it is not as intimidating as I thought. The coils are stuffed into a present sleeve that I can make easily. I will need to clean each part to kill the mouse mess smell.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #362 on: December 04, 2018, 09:28:16 AM »
Pre-Sewn sleeve.   Autocorrect does not like that word.  At first I thought the coils were individually wrapped. They are not. It is a series of straight sewn sleeves with pockets for the springs.
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #363 on: December 04, 2018, 08:08:32 PM »
I do not envy the job of whoever installed these hog rings. It took me over an hour to remove them from just one side. My hands are killing from the pliers.
Charles Kettering

Offline South_paw

« Reply #364 on: December 04, 2018, 08:46:45 PM »
Wow, you pried them off! No wonder your hand hurts  8) Gotta use metal snips. Be careful though, when you snip them they go flying across the room. 
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #365 on: December 05, 2018, 06:34:52 AM »
I used the snips first.  The pliers were faster.  Most of the time I could just twist them off.  In the areas where a coil spring attached to another coil spring without touching the frame I will need to snip.
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #366 on: December 05, 2018, 06:10:06 PM »
There are at least 4 different lengths of springs in this front seat bottom.  I am going to make a color coded chart to show what goes where.
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #367 on: December 05, 2018, 06:14:24 PM »
This piece confuses me. I can understand a support going across the front of the seat. But what I do not understand is this strip allowing the front springs to pull 2 inches away from the rest.
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #368 on: December 06, 2018, 03:03:29 PM »
Cutting all of the stitching apart is.  Little time consuming. The piping is very stiff making it z little difficult cutting through the layers.
Charles Kettering

Offline Clewisiii

« Reply #369 on: December 06, 2018, 06:36:03 PM »
The front seat back is disassembled. I need to completely label and catalog all pieces. After all of the seats and door panels are disassembled I need to separate them based on material. Then I will be able to estimate how much material I will need to order.
Charles Kettering