Author Topic: Terrific article in Old Cars Weekly about the gathering of Cadillac concepts.  (Read 1438 times)

Offline South_paw

Thanks for posting that Nads. Your car looks great.

It's funny,  very little is known about the mechanical side of the concept cars. For example, the '53 Lemans cars were all dual quad setup's. Do they still have dual quads today?  How about the '56 Brougham Towncar? It was originally a push mobile. Did it have an X chassis under it or a standard 1956 Cadillac chassis? Do any of these cars have chassis numbers?  I would love to get these cars on a lift for a look . Never gonna happen though 8)   
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline South_paw

The cars included 250-hp Cadillac V-8s, and three of the four LeMans show cars exist today, including two exhibited at the concours; one owned by the aforementioned Playtime Auto Collection, and the other by the GM Heritage Collection.

Interesting... I wonder if OCW knows something we don't. Only two of the four LeMans are known to exist. The two at the show, thats it. The Barris car burnt to the ground and the Black LeMans that was signed over to Harley Earl disappeared in 1953.

The editor of OCW is a member of this forum. Hey Angelo, what do ya know  8)   
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz

Offline Nadeem

Fact checking is a lost art.

I can tell you that I looked under the Towncar quite a bit, there is a frame, it was never powered however, it is now. The massive door pillar structures where the doors attach are made of wood as was the dashboard originally, it was painted to look like metal and had fake instruments. It has a steel dashboard in it now.
The most amazing thing was that there were no innards in the taillights in the bumper, nothing.

All the other cars there were totally functional, I'm sure the 53 Le Mans was too but it was towed out of there by a golf cart.

Offline South_paw

It's a shame they towed out the '53 LeMans. I found an article a few years back about how GM invited a group of reporters to the GM proving grounds so they could all take one of the LeMans cars around the 1.5m track. In the attached file is a snippet from that article. Those cars were meant to be driven....hard  8)
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz