Author Topic: Hey guys! Finally got myself a caddy!  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Pokey

Hey guys! Finally got myself a caddy!
« on: October 30, 2016, 07:07:36 PM »
and boy is it a turd!  ;D

So Ive had a burning desire for cadillac ownership since I bought a 62 impala in high school as my first car. Theres just nothing cooler on the roads to me. So 10 years later and bunch of missed opportunities everything came together and I was able to drag home a sourly neglected 61 6 window. My excitement level is through the roof even staring at this daunting task ahead. By that i mean this car is much more involved than any other project ive taken on.

For having been partially reclaimed by the ground a lot of it is fairly solid. Most of the outer sheet metal is intact save a few bubbles and pinholes. Chassis is solid but dirty and neglected. The floorpans are shot for the most part and so is the trunk pan. The trunk seal area with the weatherstrip seal is absolutely rotted. Front bumper is rusted through but rear is still solid despite being rusty.

As far as mechanics....its junk haha. The 390 is locked up and obviously met a nasty end. No further status on the rest of the drivetrain yet. Appears to have been sitting since 99. I have a 5.3 and 4l80 setting in the garage so that may end up in there. I dont have keys for the car so most of the electrical system is a mystery although the headlights did power on. wohoo so something works haha. My first major obstacle currently is all 4 brake drums are locked up and a week of heating beating and soaking has yet to budge any of them. Booster and master are junk too. Interior is gonna need a total redo as well. Whew this baby got issues lol.

So thank you for the add and Im excited to have such a wealth of knowledge at my fingertips as Im sure gonna need it!
Ill try to get some pictures uploaded from my phone to make all this way more interesting  ;D
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 07:16:14 PM by Pokey »

Offline 62droptop

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • 62 series 62 droptop southern ontario canada
Re: Hey guys! Finally got myself a caddy!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 08:27:53 PM »
nice project start

on the picture,make sure the phone is right way up
when viewing on the phone pic will always be right side up
when downloaded it will show its true orientation
at least that is what I have found

and tell us where you are from,there may be a new best friend close by!
1962 Cadillac series 62 ragtop

driven like it is stolen
broken because it was driven(still)

Offline Pokey

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 09:07:20 PM »
Thanks! I live down near Jackson ms. Its also worth noting I work at a junkyard so I have access to all kinds of parts I can likely make work for me. As much as I would love to do a 100% correct restoration I just dont have that kind of money haha so there will be some modifying along the way. Interesting on the phone I never thought of that. I downloaded them on the computer and rotated them so ill repost them

Offline 62 driver

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2016, 09:31:40 PM »
That's a nice start! The seats look good to me. Welcome.

Offline Clewisiii

• Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 09:27:29 AM »
Congratulations Good Luck.  It does not look that bad.

Keep that excitement as long as you can.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline Pokey

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 08:16:21 PM »
Thank you! The trunk seal rust is a little scary to me but I'm sure I can tackle it effectively. Now I guess my first question may be diving straight into taboo but whats the thoughts on swapping to a big b body chassis after lengthening the frame of course and either channeling the floor to make it sit down or possibly using portions of the parts car floor and other parts? I know it would be no small task but neither will getting the subterranian original chassis sorted.

Offline 62droptop

• 62 series 62 droptop southern ontario canada
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 08:37:33 PM »
working at the yard will open up all kinds of possibilities

I see nothing wrong with doing a chassis swap if that works for you
and if done nice ,not many will ever notice
biggest issue I see is these cars sit so low onto the chassis with the x frame  ,any other chassis will make the floor too high and there will be no head room left with stock seats
although a perimeter frame may work if you can find one
1962 Cadillac series 62 ragtop

driven like it is stolen
broken because it was driven(still)

Offline Pokey

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 09:31:45 PM »
Interesting. Being tall that is a concern. Google didnt provide much info on the dimensions so I'll have to do a little running around. Thanks!

Offline Pokey

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2016, 02:48:59 PM »
Finally got an opportunity to get some work done this weekend. Got the seats out and carpet pulled up to assess the floors. Fred flinstone would be proud! Was also able to get the front brakes off and apart. Still have a lot of cleaning to do but so far the frame looks pretty solid. Guess I'll make myself a build thread later on  :o