Author Topic: '56 Coupe leg room  (Read 1249 times)

Offline iCAD

• 61-62 Cadillacs Owners Group
  • The Canadian Priaries
'56 Coupe leg room
« on: June 27, 2017, 03:48:47 PM »
Good day. Just drove my newly re-assembled '56 Coupe 900 miles from Winnipeg to Minneapolis and back, and could not be more dissapointed with the lack of legroom. I am 6'-3" tall mind you, but still, there was no stretching out while driving by any means. Mine is a working mans Cadillac...no options to speak of, so I'm wondering if the 6-way electric offered more room than my manual bench?? Surely I'm not the only 6 footer that ever owned a 1956 Coupe. Was there some workaround, or aftermarket re-locator that I'm not aware of. I'm not crazy about drilling holes thru the floor with all the patching I had to do to get it watertight!  I welcome any ideas.  Thank you.  KenO
At a gas station the other day, a guy asks me "what kinda gas mileage do you get with a big old car like that?". "Who cares?" I replied, "it's a Cadillac!!"

Offline Clewisiii

• Carl Crittenden Flushing MI
Re: '56 Coupe leg room
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 04:10:01 PM »
For my 61 there are multiple bolt holes in the legs of the seat.  So you could actually unbolt the seat and move it back a bit.  From the looks it could give you one more inch.
"My interest is in the future because I am going to spend the rest of my life there."
Charles Kettering

Offline South_paw

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 08:06:32 PM »
The AMA specs says there is no major difference between the 1956 models. This answers your question because the Eldorados came standard with the 6 way seat. The Eldos are model 6267S. 
Lou
1956 Eldorado Biarritz
CLC Member since 2001 (Unlisted in Directory)

*** Check out the 1956 Eldorado Biarritz Survivor Roster. Click here ***

Offline Roger Zimmermann

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 02:05:25 AM »
I have the impression that convertble' front seats have less travel than closed cars because of the position of the rear seat. It was obvious when I jumped from my '56 Biarritz to my (now sold) '56 Sedan de Ville. On the closed car, the seat was not completely back and I had a comfortable driving position; at the Biarritz's wheel, I wish the seat could go further back. And I'm not tall: 1.71m.

Offline iCAD

• The Canadian Priaries
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 07:21:23 AM »
Hmmm...I see. There is no option with bolting the track to the seat, and its rearward motion is also limited by the bolster that hides the tracks when the door is open. I guess Sam Hunt got it wrong when he sings "Now me and her go way back like Cadillac seats".  Thank you, gentlemen.   KenO
At a gas station the other day, a guy asks me "what kinda gas mileage do you get with a big old car like that?". "Who cares?" I replied, "it's a Cadillac!!"

Offline cadman56

• Cadill-Ikes Chapter Member
  • Great balls of fire, Maybelline coming through
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 07:23:12 PM »
Crazy thought here.  Take the bolsters off and see if the seat goes back further.  Strange the bolsters bottom out to the floor.  Did you install the brackets the bolters attach to with the screw flane up or down?
Good luck.
Larry Blanchard CLC#5820
1956 Cadillac Coupe deVille (sold)
1956 Cadillac convertible (sold)
1956 Cadillac Eldorado Seville
1967 Cadillac Eldorado (sold)
1968 Cadillac convertible
1991 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham dElegance

Offline iCAD

• The Canadian Priaries
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2017, 07:30:47 AM »
Before I installed the seat bottom into the car, I checked that the tracks were in sync and completely forward. If I remember correctly there were 6 adjustment notches allowing a total of about 5 inches travel front to back. The bolsters are installed correctly and do not touch the track either completely forward or back, but it is close. I think what I'll do is just fab up a couple of 1/4" X 4" X 18" (or as required) steel plates that the seat tracks will bolt to. I'll install them under the carpet into the original floor mounting holes. I'll offset all the threaded track mounting holes to the rear to allow at least 2 inches more room to the back. My wife is 5'10" too and she and I are the only people I can see driving it for the next 30 years, so its worth it.
I appreciate all the input tho.  Thank you,  KenO